unit 76 Colorado advice? >

unit 76 Colorado advice?

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

unit 76 Colorado advice?

Old 03-17-2011, 07:18 PM
Spike

Default unit 76 Colorado advice?

My father and I both have 11(+) non-resident CO elk points. We have hunted off and on for the past 12 years with OTC tags exclusively in the archery and muzzy seasons. All of our experience has been in DIY in unit 65 with exception of one year where we hunted in White River NF. We have had very good success with both cows and bulls and have taken only one tag home during that time.

My father has expressed an interest in using his points while his health is still good on a hunt where the chances of a good bull are higher. He is 72 but in excellent condition. I am considering a semi-guided hunt for the two of us in unit 76 rifle ( probably second rifle season so we can hunt Muley as well) either this year or next. We both have an interest in a pack- in tent camp rifle elk hunt experience.

Based on my research we would have high likely-hood of drawing in 76.Some of the questions I have been mulling over include:

1. Is 76 our best choice for a good chance at a decent Bull(s) given our point totals?

2. How will our relative success and comfort in hunting in September translate to second rifle season? We are both comfortable with calling and have pulled in numerous bulls but recognize that calling success will be limited during rifle season but we also have had some success in still hunting.

3. We both enjoy the autonomy that a DIY hunt provides but worry that given our lack of experience in the unit, lack of access to horses, and desire to make the burning of our PPs worth it we are considering going with a guided hunt (2:1 is what I am thinking). Should we reconsider a drop camp or trespass hunt ( assuming such a beast is available in 76.

4. Any advice on outfitters/guides?

5. any other pointers?

Thanks in advance for any info provided.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

read your PM
Old 03-26-2011, 02:46 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by AppHunter
My father and I both have 11(+) non-resident CO elk points. We have hunted off and on for the past 12 years with OTC tags exclusively in the archery and muzzy seasons. All of our experience has been in DIY in unit 65 with exception of one year where we hunted in White River NF. We have had very good success with both cows and bulls and have taken only one tag home during that time.

My father has expressed an interest in using his points while his health is still good on a hunt where the chances of a good bull are higher. He is 72 but in excellent condition. I am considering a semi-guided hunt for the two of us in unit 76 rifle ( probably second rifle season so we can hunt Muley as well) either this year or next. We both have an interest in a pack- in tent camp rifle elk hunt experience.

Based on my research we would have high likely-hood of drawing in 76.Some of the questions I have been mulling over include:

1. Is 76 our best choice for a good chance at a decent Bull(s) given our point totals?

2. How will our relative success and comfort in hunting in September translate to second rifle season? We are both comfortable with calling and have pulled in numerous bulls but recognize that calling success will be limited during rifle season but we also have had some success in still hunting.

3. We both enjoy the autonomy that a DIY hunt provides but worry that given our lack of experience in the unit, lack of access to horses, and desire to make the burning of our PPs worth it we are considering going with a guided hunt (2:1 is what I am thinking). Should we reconsider a drop camp or trespass hunt ( assuming such a beast is available in 76.

4. Any advice on outfitters/guides?

5. any other pointers?

Thanks in advance for any info provided.
Your going to have to deal with snow. Or the very good posibility of snow. Early September seasons my favorite for the weather. I have not hunted that unit before. Best of luck to you in your hunt.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:07 PM
Typical Buck

I can only give advise on #2. I hunt muzzleloader season and also 2nd rifle. 2nd rifle is always a lot colder and your chance for snow is a lot greater. Year before last it was very dry and this year past year where we normally hunt it was well over our knees. We had to move lower on the mountain we hunt.

As far as calling during 2nd rifle, it seems non existant to me. I carry a Hoochie Mama tied to my pack just to have something if I need a call to try to stop them but don't expect to make set ups and call them in like you do in the rut. Plan to cover a lot of ground.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:58 AM
Spike

Thanks for all the pointers. We are now thinking first rifle is our best bet and will save our deer pts for another year.