Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
Northern California >

Northern California

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Northern California

Old 01-01-2002, 10:52 AM

Default Northern California

I'm down in So. Cal. and tired of the crowds during deer season. Anybody up there know of any good places my Daughter and I can go on public land, maybe around Trinity or Shasta counties.
Old 01-01-2002, 08:35 PM

Default RE: Northern California

dlars,

I hunt in C-4 east of Red Bluff. If you are willing to hike, there are some great areas to hunt. You probably wont see the trophy class Blacktails as you would in the Trinity area, or the Yolla Bolly area, but there are deer. Look up public land from the BLM. Most people do not realize how much public land there really is available.

Anbo_1
Old 01-01-2002, 11:38 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Trinity or Shasta counties <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

B2. I hunt there. About an hour past whiskey town and actually we can usually see trinity lake from our camp in the trinity alps. I've never killed a buck up there but my dad and some friends have. a friend took an 8 point blackie up there, not to mention black bear up the wazoo... be sure to pick up a bear tag.

In B2, there is 5 bear per square mile, not to shabby. We saw a guy hike out this year with a 5x5 on his back. He hiked his behind off but boy did it pay off.
Old 01-02-2002, 12:23 AM

dlars......my dad lives in Yucaipa too. I hunt in zone D-11 in the San Gabrial mountains. I've gotten a buck 3 years in a row there now, since i started hunting it. My secret, is I go where the roads are closed to vehicle. ONce you hike about 2 miles, you don't ever see other hunters because most of them are lazy. Like I said, I'm getting deer just north of Glendora, Azusa, Bradbury etc.... Just got to hike a little bit. My second tag is in the D-9 or D-8 zones. I alternate every other year. I hunt with a game warden buddy of mine up there and its all public land we hunt. Just got to get out and hike! Once you get the deer, skin it, debone it, leave everything behind but the antlers and meat. Place it in a backpack and it's not too bad. Just take little breaks on your hike back.

Good luck.
Old 01-02-2002, 05:24 PM

hk45usp thanks for the info. I have been hunting D-14 for 25+ years and usually always get my buck. Last year got 5 x 4 out of the burn area behind Big Bear. A long hike and still big crowds.

Edited by - dlars on 01/02/2002 18:41:48
Old 01-02-2002, 05:38 PM

[quote]
anbo 1
thanks, have you done any good up there? Hiking in has never been a problem if it's worth it.
Old 01-02-2002, 06:08 PM

littlehuntnfool
thanks for the reply. Do you stay in a campground if so how are they? I have a large outfitters tent need lots of room.
Old 01-02-2002, 08:11 PM

no, we just find a spot up on the mountain and camp there. This year we had some outfitters take us on horse back about 7 miles back into the mountains. Lot's of fun. We camped in the middle of a bedding area in a medow. The deer would come out and feed next to our tent at night. Pretty cool. I took a picture of a doe at about 3 feet from me. I'm gunna try to post the pictures on this board sometime soon.
Old 01-08-2002, 05:31 PM

I live in Arizona, but visit family in northern california often. Can anyone point me somewhere to get information on drawing procedures for non-resident along with some of the drawing successes in areas you guys are referring to? Thanks.
Old 01-08-2002, 10:18 PM

http://www.arwhead.com/calhunt/deer.html

that page may help you out

Quick Reply: Northern California

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.