Western Colorado >

Western Colorado

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Western Colorado

Old 11-28-2010, 03:59 AM
Spike

Default Western Colorado

So I guess we have narrowed it down to Western Colorado for our 2011 Mule Deer hunt. 1st Rifle, Hopefully if the draw goes well. Would anybody outright recommend a unit? Or is their a site that would show me where all the public land is located. I'm sure I will have more questions in the future. Thanks for any help. Oh we are not lookin for monsters just a good buck. Thanks Dennis
Old 11-28-2010, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

How many preference points do you have?
Old 11-28-2010, 03:03 PM
Spike

we have none.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

All of the better units are draw units that require a handful of preference points to have a chance for a license. Nonresident tags usually require more preference points than resident tags. Go to http://wildlife.state.co.us/ to see the draw statistics for the different units and seasons. You might find a unit that you have a fair chance of drawing next year with zero points, but look at the map for National Forest land in that unit.
There isn't much BLM land in western Colorado, but there is quite a bit of National Forest and state land. The unit map in the Big Game hunting regs shows National Forest land. I usually hunt in one of the units in the San Juan NF.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:56 AM
Spike

I live in Craig CO and we got some real nice mulies around here. I dont know much about the public land and stuff i just moved here in a few months back but Im sure i could find thing out. I am in the corners on units 301,4, and 13.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:12 PM
Spike

Yeah any info would be great. Like I said we have no points but would really like to come out west to hunt. Elk, Muley, pronghorn. We just like to hunt hard and have a good time. We are tired of the Northeast woods, no deer and we hunt them like partridge.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

You guys should start collecting preference points for different game you want to hunt this Spring when the application periods start. Wyoming would be a good place to start with antelope points so you will have some better opportunities whenever you plan your first antelope hunt. Both Colorado and Wyoming are good places to collect points for deer and elk. Sometimes just one or two points will be enough to make a difference and get you into a unit with reduced hunter pressure. The very best elk and deer units take many points (often 10 or better).
Old 11-30-2010, 05:01 PM
Spike

So can somebody explain to me Leftover licenses? And when it says Private Land does that mean we need to pay a trespass fee or get land owner permission? Also I know when we went out in 04 we did OTC Archery for 21/22. Unless I am confused does CO offer OTC for Muzzleloader and Archery? I think I may be reading into this to much.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

The best thing to do is phone the Colorado Division of Wildlife at (303) 297-1192. I have hunted in Colorado for about 40 years, and I still have to phone them occasionally. They have always been very helpful.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:39 AM
Typical Buck

Unit 73 is good for Elk and Muleys Lots of Blm in sw Co. You can also find Elk, Dear and Pronghorn's on Wilkerson pass.

Last edited by RockyMtnGobblers; 12-17-2010 at 01:43 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.