Wyoming Antelope >

Wyoming Antelope

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Wyoming Antelope

Old 10-08-2010, 11:08 AM
Spike

Question Wyoming Antelope

I am new to this site and to Antelope hunting. I am going to try to draw a tag next year for Area 93. Got a few questions for ya'll.
First- is a 30.06 a good caliber for goats? I am either getting a 30.06 or a .270.
Second- I heard there is alot of public land in area 93. Is there any rules about putting up a ground blind? And how quick will a goat get used to a blind?
I have more questions, as this will be my first Antelope hunt. Any information you can give me would be appriciated. Thanks for looking.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not familiar with 93, your best bet is to grab one of the USGS quads to determine how much and where the public land is. I generally hunt 73 NW of Casper and while there's a large amount of public land included, sometimes it's mixed into a patchwork of private land, much of it unfenced. It's pretty critical you know where you're at at all times to avoid trespassing. I'd suspect the area you're looking at falls under the BLM, as does much of the unforested public land in WY, so that may be another source of maps.

If you're not camping, you're probably going to wind up staying in Green River or Kemmerer. GR's considerably larger than Kemmerer, but also consider that GR's about ten miles west of Rock Springs. The country otherwise there tends to be somewhat hilly, most of what I've seen is typical sagebrush country. Though you might manage a long shot on a goat there, I'd be willing to bet you could put a pretty good stalk on one by using the terrain to your advantage. You'll want a good spotting scope - otherwise you may spend a morning stalking only to realize your intended target's just "average".

If you already have the .30-06, it's fine for goats. Stick with a 150-grain bullet if you can. I've had 165s and larger fail to open up. If you're still looking to select a caliber, I might lean more toward the .270. It's a near-perfect plains caliber here, plenty adequate for pronghorns, deer, and elk. My personal choice for goats is the puny .243.

I'd probably skip the ground blind unless you're pretty confident you can find water or something else to draw goats in. With so much open country, they'll completely avoid anything that looks out of place.

Last edited by homers brother; 10-09-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:23 PM
Spike

Here is a good site to use: http://sunlight.wygisc.uwyo.edu/hunt...electedIndex=1
Old 10-19-2010, 11:17 AM
Spike

Drive around until you find a heard. Get out of the truck and stalk em. Once within 500 yards (use a spotting scope) Kill em with a .243 or .270. Its like prairie dog hunting in wyoming bud... Real fun though.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:38 AM
Spike

agreed use the 270. I hunt speed goat around La barge. and I just drive around find heard and shoot. Not that hard. In wyoming they pretty much sell'em at the grocery store.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:29 PM
Spike

I don't think you'll need a blind to kill an antelope unless you like them. The 270 would be just fine and a 30-06 would work too. Wyoming has a lot of antelope and if you choose a good unit that is antelope rich then getting one shouldn't be a problem.