Oregon blacktails >

Oregon blacktails

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Oregon blacktails

Old 11-02-2009, 03:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default Oregon blacktails

Hunters. i would like some thoughts. I get my blacktails here in western oregon. problem is, I feel like its luck all the time. i also spend about 5 nights, and 1 morning a week during the season to get them. the only knowledge i have lived off of is this:
the are never seen in the day.
most live on or near private valley ground.
mornings are better then evening hunts.

I never see them in clear cuts. so why do all of us tend to look there.

what are your opinions out there?
thanks!!
Old 11-09-2009, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Funny isn't it we both hunt the same areas but seem to have different ideas about how to hunt it .

I find Clearcuts that are two or more years old usually are pretty good hunting . That said this would be mostly does and smaller bucks that you would find there during the day . The older bucks wont come in until dark but they are there . You will see them out during daylight hours when the rut is on but for the most part they are nocturnal where I hunt . That makes the time just before dark prime as far as I'm concerned .
Since we only get one deer here in Oregon I usually like to try for a bigger one , sometimes it works out and sometimes it don't . I do find later in the season seems to be the most productive for big deer . This year I took a forked horn which is unusual for me . Nice deer but I saw two bigger bucks that same day . Some you win and some you dont . LOL
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...3/IMG_0006.jpg
Old 11-10-2009, 12:07 PM
Fork Horn

i hear you on the clearcuts. we all look there but seem to see none. i did shoot one coming out of a draw through the clear cut this year. but that was the only legal buck i saw this year. i saw one buck last year a 4x4, and i killed it. but i only saw one. it could be that the areas i look in are not great on numbers. i live just north of eugene, and it seems like you are maybe down south further? it might be better down there. this year seemed slow. probably due to weather. question we all want nice optics, but there is more to life than spending 1k on binos. i have a pair of 200.00 leopolds, and they are decent. maybe you guys have better binos and thus im not seeing the game.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

You want to find the deer (blacktails especiallty) get away from roads and hunters...that is where they will be, i promise
Old 11-10-2009, 11:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your right I'm south of Eugene about 60 miles on the interstate , just a small farm community . Talking about clearcuts have you ever hunted through them or do you just glass the area. I have watched cuts or hours and never seen a thing then ,then when we hunted thru them and seen three or four bucks that had been bedded down there all the time .
Old 11-11-2009, 08:15 AM
Fork Horn

so do a little pushing on them.. i will do that. i do that for mue deer. as far as the other comment from the other guy about get away from raods. well its tough, because this is logging country, and there are roads everywhere.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:19 AM
Spike

Halcon,
I am planning a blacktail and elk hunt on the Oregon Coast and would like to ask you some advice. Plan to fly to Portland, rent a 4-wheel drive, rent a cabin or motel room close to the coast and hunt for about 10 days. My e-mail is: [email protected]
I saw the picture of the forkhorn and I thought it looked really good.
Thanks.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jaiverri
Halcon,
I am planning a blacktail and elk hunt on the Oregon Coast and would like to ask you some advice. Plan to fly to Portland, rent a 4-wheel drive, rent a cabin or motel room close to the coast and hunt for about 10 days. My e-mail is: [email protected]
I saw the picture of the forkhorn and I thought it looked really good.
Thanks.
I'm not sure what you need , but I'm willing to help if possible . [email protected]
Old 12-02-2009, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

WOW Oregonhunter5... Clear cuts is one of the best places to find them. THey are best if the road that gets to them is gated off, because the deer arn't as afraid of people driving by and shooting them, so they will be out in it more. I live in Southern Oregon and just killed this lil guy the 2nd day of the late bow season. Do you bow or rifle hunt? If you bow hunt... you probably should set up a tree stand, cause they are hard animals to sneek up on! Thats how I got this guy.

Last edited by HOGHUNTINGUNLIMITED; 12-02-2009 at 06:32 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:29 PM
Fork Horn

I killed a couple of the biggest Coastal Blacktails I've gotten within sight of the Oakland Ca. Airport. I think you hit it on the head mentioning your binoculars. Scouting is going to be your best bet and the better the binos or spotting scope you've got the more you'll see. Find an area where you've seen deer and sit on a high spot before dawn and at dusk and glass. Pick apart every bit of brush and foliage. During the day pay attention to the wind and glass the bases of trees and the rocks just below the crest of the hills. Repeated success with blacktails shows your skill, not luck, ....... well, maybe a little bit.

Last edited by Ol'Mongo; 12-03-2009 at 08:31 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.