AK hunting...? >

AK hunting...?

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

AK hunting...?

Old 07-27-2009, 12:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default AK hunting...?

So I have a friend working up in way north AK, I think Barrow, basically on the arctic ocean...

Wondering I may have some free time come late nov, dec, jan. Does alaska shut down basically in winter, are storms just to bad to get out and hunt? not that we'd have to hunt that far north.

Basically wondering could I make something happen with him come NOV/DEC/JAN?

Can you buy tags OTC? I read somewhere that you could take any animal with any tag as long as yoru tag was equal or higher value? So if you have a moose tag, you could shoot a caribou etc...?

He's new to hunting, said he'd like to go after a moose or sheep, I'd like a chance at either if I go though, I think I'd rather take a caribou than wonder around the tundra for 10days hoping to see a moose or sheep ya know?

Thanks.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:56 AM
Spike

That's too far north for moose or sheep and by that timeframe, the seasons are all closed except for maybe caribou. Better bring some warm clothes, your looking at lots of frigid temps. Tags can be purchased over the counter also. Alaska does not shut down just because it's cold, we might go on hold for a bit but we never shut down.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

well it seems the brooks range is up there and has sheep...

he's in barrow but doesn't mean we'll have to hunt right there, but I figured the north country...

can you still hunt come feb or march? for sheep?
Old 08-03-2009, 05:39 PM
Fork Horn

Unless your friend is a licensed guide you can't hunt sheep, goat or the big bears. You need to either be a close family member (ie dad, brother and such) or have a licensed guide on those three species.

Goatslayer........
Old 08-03-2009, 08:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by GoatSlayer
Unless your friend is a licensed guide you can't hunt sheep, goat or the big bears. You need to either be a close family member (ie dad, brother and such) or have a licensed guide on those three species.

Goatslayer........
you sure it's not like WY where as long as you hunt with a resident you're good to go?

might just have to become a res...
Old 08-04-2009, 03:49 PM
Fork Horn

I have hunted in Alaska 6 of the past 10 years. I'm 100% positive. You can hunt Moose, Caribou, Black Bear, Wolf and Sitka Blacktail deer and smaller stuff. By yourself with a friend of anybody you care to. But to hunt Dall Sheep, Mt. Goat, and Grizz. you must either hunt with a resident blood relative or a lic. guide. Not sure when the blood line cuts out not that interested as I have no relatives in Alaska. But if it were just a friend I would have tagged those three as I have had many chances. My resident friends have taken Dall, Mt. Goat and Grizz on several trips I was on. If it were legal I would have taken them also.

Goatslayer........

Oh the Wyoming resident thing is for hunting areas more or less. Not for species. Wyoming had wilderness areas that at one time were only huntable basically for residents. All nonresidents had to have a guide. Those rules have changed and now if you are hunting with a Wyoming resident you can hunt those areas.

Goatslayer........

Last edited by GoatSlayer; 08-04-2009 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

too many laws/rules/regulations if you ask me.