Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
Where Can I Hunt State Land? >

Where Can I Hunt State Land?

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Where Can I Hunt State Land?

Old 07-21-2009, 09:53 AM

Default Where Can I Hunt State Land?

I need Help finding state land to hunt on!!!!

My friends and I are planning on making an out of state bow hunt for big game without the expensive ranches and guides. We want to be able to purchase an out state license for Elk or Mule deer, pack the camping gear/bows, and head out.

I'm from Louisiana, and want to find the nearest state land to hunt big game. I'm not sure what states allow non-resident hunters to purchase licenses without going through a drawing.

All information will be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-28-2009, 12:34 PM
Spike

Hey Blake,

I have some experience with hunting Montana on state and other public land. Best thing I can tell you to do is go to the hunt planner on the fish and game site. http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/planahunt/default.aspx Figure out the zone and species you want to hunt. Then zoom in closer so you can see the exact area you want to go. Any area in Purple or Yellow you can hunt. They are either BLM or State lands. You can also usually hunt the green which are federal lands. I will warn you to look closely as a random fence line could mean the difference between public land and another persons private land. As you zoom in you will see what I am talking about. You can also buy a map for the regions from the fish and game department. Its either 10 or 20 bucks, but good to have in the truck when you can't have a computer on your lap. Oh and one more thing, some of the BLM and other private lands require written permission even though they may be on the map. If thats the case it has to be posted. You simply then find the landowner (which should be on the posting) then they write you up on an official Montana document you put in your car window. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have more questions.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most western states are over the counter for bow hunting so you just need to figure where you want to hunt . I've hunted in most of them and tags have never been a probem . There are a couple states that have special draw areas but these are trophy hunts usually. The easy tags are what got me back to archery hunting because you could get a archery tag just about anywhere nonresident , Rifle tags are another thing all together . Luck on your hunt .
Old 08-12-2009, 03:01 AM

Yea Big we definately need to make this happen! Im ready for a Big Game Bow Hunt!