Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 DIY Speed Goat >

DIY Speed Goat

West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

DIY Speed Goat

Old 04-06-2009, 11:11 AM

Default DIY Speed Goat

Heading to WY. this year in mid Oct. to hunt goats it will be gun season but i plan to hunt with bow. what i am wanting to know is if i put a blind up and sage brush it in good will the goats shy from it ?
Old 04-06-2009, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: DIY Speed Goat

I would not recommend hunting from a ground blind during rifle season, unless the ground blind is blaze orange. Will this hunt be on public or private land? There are plenty of antelope to hunt spot & stalk style on public land during rifle season. I recommend bringing a rifle as a back-up weapon.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:24 PM

I did the rifle thing took a nice buck not enough challenge bow hunting is my game will the goats shy from a brushed in blind !!
Old 04-06-2009, 01:25 PM

Its on public ground
Old 04-06-2009, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shot a antelope doe from my ground blind a few years ago & she never got spooked. The ground blind might even attract them? Antelope are curious animals, they have come to within 100-yards of me during rifle season while I changed a flat tire on my pickup truck.

Good luck hunting.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

go early with the bow....or use the rifle and hold out for a monster if it was too easy... make it tougher. sure shooting any antelope isn't tough but finding a certain animal etc....or a big boy makes it more of a challenge.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:56 AM

I can't go earlyer we are doing a two state DIY hunt WY COand killing a big goat is not my main goal it is two take A goat with a bow. My ? is I am going to be there for six or sevin days will the goats get use to a blind in that short of time if it is brushed in good !!
Old 04-07-2009, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: INBOWMAN

I can't go earlyer we are doing a two state DIY hunt WY COand killing a big goat is not my main goal it is two take A goat with a bow. My ? is I am going to be there for six or sevin days will the goats get use to a blind in that short of time if it is brushed in good !!

The point I was trying to make is antelope are not like deer. Antelope are more likely to walk up to something that looks strange or out of place. Theday I shot my antelope doe, I set my ground blind up near awater hole and in less than one hour I had 2-does &1-buck walking up to my blind to check it out.Antelope will walk up to something that looks out of place or something that looks just plan wrong.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:08 AM

Thanks Wolf Killer for your help INBOMAN,
Old 04-07-2009, 10:50 AM
Typical Buck

Heres the picture of our set up last year. I would NOT recommend trying to archery hunt while the gun season is going on. Some idiot roadhunter( which there are PLENTY in WY ) would try to sight in his rifle on your blind.
We go up 3 or 4 days before the rifle opener and bow hunt, then, finish up with our rifles if we need too.
As you can see we don't brush our blinds and leave them right out in the open. These guys are right about them being curious. You want the goats to see it and get comfortable with it from long distance. We haven't had good luck with brush It moves inthe wind and makes them nervous. Also It's not good if they are "surprised" by it. I would also recommend a decoy We have used Montana's inthe past but will be making a full body this year. As it will stand up and work better in the wind. At that time the bucks are stupid in rut. I wouldn't doubt that one would attemp to mount the decoy.

Heres the complete postof our hunts fromlast fall ont he second page is a Youtube video of my wifes hunt and the aftermath that took place.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=3020931&mpage=1

Let me know if you have any questions I would be more then happy to help you. As youc an tell it's my favorite spieces and tactic to hunt!

Quick Reply: DIY Speed Goat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.