Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 Utah or Colorado? >

Utah or Colorado?

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Utah or Colorado?

Old 01-07-2009, 11:07 AM

Default Utah or Colorado?

Hi there, i am looking to make a change and thought i would try to get as much info as possible before i start narrowing my search. I have been in Los Angeles for the last 2 years after 15 years in Alaska (grew up in Wisconsin). 2 years of city is about all i can stand and there is little hunting around here compared to what i am used to so i am ready to hit the road.

I have always wanted to hunt out west and it is one of the few areas i havent lived yet. I am thinking Colorado or Utah. I have to admit that i have had my fill of long cold winters so im thinking of staying away from some of the northern states. I'd like to go somewhere where tags and hunting for deer, antelope, and elk are easily accessable. I'd hate to find a great place and get all moved in and then find out i have to wait 10 years on a drawing hunt to get any tags for the area. I don't mind applying for trophy areas but id like to be able to go out behind the house and knock down a meat bull every year.

The wife would like a place within a couple of hours of a city and i guess anywhere would be more affordable housing than LA but affordability is a big plus.

I know this is a very broad question but i am just trying to get started on my research so any help would be appreciated. I have heard the 4 corners area near Durango, co is very nice but i dont know what the hunting is like out there. I like the looks of the Pueblo area, but again, i havent been through there and know nothing about what the hunting or economy is like. i don't know much about Utah at all but my wife has skied there and has said she wouldn't mind living there. I loved the country around Flagstaff, AZ and saw lots of elk but dont even know if they have an open season. We have been through New Mexico and didn't really care for it, would like it a little more green. I looked at 40 acres in northern Nevada a while back but then someone told me all big game hunting is on drawing permit so didnt think it was a good choice.

I know i can go to each state's DNR page and research all the hunting information but if i can at least get a few ballpark areas to start with it will save me a lot of time. thanks very much!

Mike

p.s. anyplace with a great bluegrass community would be a huge plus for me too.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Utah or Colorado?

Good lord, Lefty...this is a pretty heavy question.

I love both Colorado and Utah...but would choose Colorado. A couple guys I work with are considering retiring in southwest CO around Durango or Cortez. In each case you're going to be drawing for tags...and I should probably double check but I'm going to say CO is easier to draw as a resident than Utah is...yes, AZ has elk seasons as well, but it gets damn cold near Flagstaff!!

With all that said, I live in Nevada and if I could get 40 acres up north I'd do it in a minute!!! Great hunting in Nevada and you can get tags just about every year for deer and antelope...

Good luck!!
Old 01-07-2009, 02:23 PM

I've also been thinking about moving out to Colorado. I'll be moving from Washington state. It rains here a lot in Washington state during the winter, so the winters can be gray for four or five months straight. I've heard the sun is out 12 months out of the year out there in Colorado. My wife and I are going out this summer to check things out. Its going to kind of be like a family vacation/area scouting trip. The area I have been looking at is the front range, just west of Denver. I hunted in Colorado once as a 14 year old and it was an eye opening experience. Something that can't be expressed in words. You just have to check out the mountains in Colorado to see it for your self. I'm going to also do some hunting during early archery for mule deer and elk. Best of luck in your search lefty5string.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:30 AM

I personally would choose CO or NM, perhaps AZ. KY is a long way to head out there and hunt.[8D]
Old 01-12-2009, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Move to Utah. There is absolutely nothing here in CO for hunters and outdoorsman.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:56 PM

I wouldnt come to utah, the condors are already hear which means a ban on hunting all together. Plus most of the fish were caught last year.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...cover1230.html