Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 Anyone guide out west? >

Anyone guide out west?

West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Anyone guide out west?

Old 12-12-2008, 05:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default Anyone guide out west?

I'm considering a guiding career out west. So my question is to someone who might have experience with moving a family out west to start a new career? I need to know what might be involved in this transaction? Will it be a difficult task? Any help is appreciated.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anyone guide out west?

Well, I am in California, I don't know if this is the State you would want to be in right now, but anyway it took me about 5 years to get things rolling here fairly good, my family was already established here, I do hogs, bear, and some muley hunts, my business just comes from word of mouth, I advertise very little...I also do alot of guiding for fishing also...If California is a consideration,you should have enough money together to last for expenses for at least 3 years...but with the economy in the shape it is in starting a career of guiding might present a little trouble...I guess as long as you had plenty of money to finance getting started and all of your expenses like I said for 3 years or so or maybe even longer...you could make a go of it...I would diffentely take a hard look at what state I was going to do this in. For California go to Central Calor Northern Cal, stay out of the south, there is not much in Southern California.
Anyways...just my thoughts!
Old 12-13-2008, 06:19 PM
Fork Horn

I was actually interested in going to guide school and work for an outfitter from there. Preferably in
Montana,Wyoming, Colorado, or Idaho. I was wondering with the way the economy was if this business would be any good.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Zrabfan26

I was actually interested in going to guide school and work for an outfitter from there. Preferably in
Montana,Wyoming, Colorado, or Idaho. I was wondering with the way the economy was if this business would be any good.
I would talk to several guides before I made a decision, I really can't speak forany otherarea, but for here, you will need alot of money to get started up, and then due to the economy...Well, Good luck with your venture.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:20 PM
Fork Horn

Call Rick Wemple at Rick Wemple Outfitting. I've not been to his school, but I hear it's the best in the business. www.mtoutfitter.com

You can also check out www.bbarcoutfitters.comJoe & Inga have a guide school as well.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: targethogs

Well, I am in California, I don't know if this is the State you would want to be in right now, but anyway it took me about 5 years to get things rolling here fairly good, my family was already established here, I do hogs, bear, and some muley hunts, my business just comes from word of mouth, I advertise very little...I also do alot of guiding for fishing also...If California is a consideration,you should have enough money together to last for expenses for at least 3 years...but with the economy in the shape it is in starting a career of guiding might present a little trouble...I guess as long as you had plenty of money to finance getting started and all of your expenses like I said for 3 years or so or maybe even longer...you could make a go of it...I would diffentely take a hard look at what state I was going to do this in. For California go to Central Calor Northern Cal, stay out of the south, there is not much in Southern California.
Anyways...just my thoughts!
Do you guide on your land or leased land? What do your charge? you can PM me if you don't want to post the price on the public forum.

JNTURK
Old 12-19-2008, 08:54 PM

I worked as a guide here in Montana for an outfit I was considering purchasing. I would never recommend moving your family out west for a "guiding career", you will starve. The hunting season is short, and not all outfitters are busy every week of season. If you have a few days between clients, you don't get paid for those days. You can never make enough money guiding to support a family. As far as guide school goes, don't waste your money. Several outfitters I talked to had very poor luck with guide school grads, with most quitting in the first few weeks. If you really want to guide out west, start hitting up outfitters right now, come out and guide, then go back home. Keep in mind, every year a whole bunch of people go to guide school, and discover that guiding is nothing like they envisioned. I loved spike camp guiding, and hated base camp guiding. Frankly, I felt like a hunting prostitute and ran far away from the whole guiding thing. Please do not dream of a guiding career, because you just can't make enough to make a go of it. To guide year round you would have to go all over the country hitting different seasons and different states, leaving your family home alone. If none of what I said desuades you, I can give you the number of an outfitter that is always looking for guides. I hope, however, you reconsider your idea, it would be financial suicide. If it is a dream you can't let go of, maybe consider a ranch hand position for a ranch that does hunts, at least you could work full time year round.
Old 12-20-2008, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: muley699

I worked as a guide here in Montana for an outfit I was considering purchasing. I would never recommend moving your family out west for a "guiding career", you will starve. The hunting season is short, and not all outfitters are busy every week of season. If you have a few days between clients, you don't get paid for those days. You can never make enough money guiding to support a family. As far as guide school goes, don't waste your money. Several outfitters I talked to had very poor luck with guide school grads, with most quitting in the first few weeks. If you really want to guide out west, start hitting up outfitters right now, come out and guide, then go back home. Keep in mind, every year a whole bunch of people go to guide school, and discover that guiding is nothing like they envisioned. I loved spike camp guiding, and hated base camp guiding. Frankly, I felt like a hunting prostitute and ran far away from the whole guiding thing. Please do not dream of a guiding career, because you just can't make enough to make a go of it. To guide year round you would have to go all over the country hitting different seasons and different states, leaving your family home alone. If none of what I said desuades you, I can give you the number of an outfitter that is always looking for guides. I hope, however, you reconsider your idea, it would be financial suicide. If it is a dream you can't let go of, maybe consider a ranch hand position for a ranch that does hunts, at least you could work full time year round.
X2 >>>This is advise to consider...
Old 12-21-2008, 11:16 AM
Fork Horn

Thank you for the help. I understand it's seasonal work. I have beenlooking into different schools and they're all saying how much demand there is for guides out west but this could be to get students. It doesn't seem like I'd have a chance without having that school under my belt. I wouldn't want to travel all over like you said to fill the year out. I want to be able to see my daughter and girlfriend. I can't believe that this seems like a single guys career like there's not much hope with a family. From what I read and see on tv it appears like something I'd really be into, but not everything is as it appears sometimes.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

here is a link to a discussion of a guide in OR...

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=3150757&mpage=1

there is an email address to Shay Mann...i would email him and see what his opinion is about guiding.

Quick Reply: Anyone guide out west?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.