Colorado Road Trip In January >

Colorado Road Trip In January

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Colorado Road Trip In January

Old 11-22-2008, 07:40 AM

Default Colorado Road Trip In January

Hello out there

My family has schedueled a road trip to Keystone in January. I was wondering If I could get some advice concerning my vehicle. I have a 2WD Dodge 2500. If I have snow chains, and put 1000 -1500 lbs of fire wood in the back will this be sufficient to increase traction.
Old 11-22-2008, 04:41 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Colorado Road Trip In January

I drive a 4x4,you should be just fine with chains alone but if you want, a couple hundred pounds of sand should be more than enough over your rear tires.
The trick on ice is not to gun your tires and give yourself plenty of time to stop easing on the breaks and pumping them if needed to stop.
You probably know this you can only have chains on your tires in the snow and ice.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:15 AM
Typical Buck

I would use sand tubes or hay bales. If you slide in the ditch or get head on (god forbid) all that firewood is coming right thru the back window.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Assuming you are coming from the Denver area you should be ok. I would pay close attention to the weather, leave the firewood at home, sand tubes would be a good idea, bring the chains but know how to put them on.....having them is not enough. Putting chains on whilst sitting beside a very busy highway in 5 degree weather and snow with hundreds of other angry drivers can be a test of which there is no comparison. Plan for it. If you have trouble call I can make suggestions.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:23 PM
Typical Buck

I also keep a shovel and tow strap in back my truck. I would recommend that too. Like mentioned before, try your chains on your tires before making the trip. Eisenhower Tunnel / Pass is usually the worst. Take your time when driving in the snow.