Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 Planning an Elk hunt for next year. Need help >

Planning an Elk hunt for next year. Need help

West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Planning an Elk hunt for next year. Need help

Old 09-16-2008, 09:46 AM
Spike

Default Planning an Elk hunt for next year. Need help

Some friends and myself are trying to plan an elk hunt for next year. We were thinking about Colorado. Not sure if we want to do archery or gun. I was hoping some one out there could help us out. Were not sure if we want a fully guide hunt, drop camp, or a do-it-yourself hunt. We are all avid hunters but mostly hunt Bear & whitetails and have no experience in hunting elk. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also if you havethe name of a quality outfitter, you could pass that along also.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 09-17-2008, 06:44 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Planning an Elk hunt for next year. Need help

Plenty of DIY opertunities out here. I personally wouldn't pay 5k or more to shoot an elk. Do your homework, kill one on public land. It will taste alot better.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:17 PM

Good to be thinking of this a year out--if you have time, you could scout the same time of year you will hunt next year-that's the best way to scout IMHO. Elk are rarely in October where they were in June.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:00 PM
Dominant Buck

DIY is the way to go as long as you are able to get out away from the roads. Lots of elk in Colorado and even more pub lands. I think elk hunting is way easier than deer hunting. I am a deer tracker and hunt elk the same way. Keep moving and look for sign and animals. You do have to be where they are though. Lots of moving and you might find a herd.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

apply in the outfitter draw in NM.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:53 PM
Typical Buck

I agree...most want to start out in Colorado. I would suggest applying in New Mexico. In New Mexico, I would suggest going guided, as you would have better odds. We are applying in Unit 16b which has some rugged country which will reduce those on foot.

I have hunted Colorado since 1995, but the drive there, hunt some public land, is not as easy as some state. You need to be prepared, have good planning and limit your pack to 50-60 pounds of gear. Colorado is an OTC state, which means you will have more traffic, however if you can get away (5 plus miles), you will reduce your chances of running into other hunters. Keep in mind, these areas may be accessible by those with horses.

Personally if you have never hunted elk before, do the drop camp or guided with a good outfitter. He will know the areas that hold elk and have all your supplies in the camp when you get there. The chore of cutting firewood will be his, not yours. The less chores you need to do, will allow you to enjoy your hunt. Once you get comfortable in elk country, then try the DIY if you like. You need to learn the land, find the honey holes, which may take a few years. If you look at it this way. If it takes you three years to learn the area, that means $500 a license per year would equal $1500...that right there will cover your expense in a drop camp hunt. In most drop camps, if you are successful, the outfitter will pack out your game.

If you have any questions feel free to PM mr.

Good luck
Old 09-20-2008, 05:24 PM
Fork Horn

I have done both and a DIY is the hardest hunting I have ever done in my life,and me & my 2 friends didn't even kill anything. First off, after setting up camp & scouting for 2 days when the time comes to hunt you have to get up at @4;30 AM, and cook your own breakfeast, walk 3 to 5 miles from camp by yourself. You return after dark & need to eat, so you are dead tired and have to make dinner when the only thing you want to do is hit the sack.

Even hiring a guide you have to help out somewhat like splitting fire wood or gathering water. I did a 10 day hunting trip on horse back in Montana for $2500, 3 years ago thatI won on E-bay. Out of 4 hunters, me & a buddy took a 5 x5 and 5 x 6 elk and the guides had the means to get the elk out of the mountains.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:56 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: 270sniper

I have done both and a DIY is the hardest hunting I have ever done in my life,and me & my 2 friends didn't even kill anything. First off, after setting up camp & scouting for 2 days when the time comes to hunt you have to get up at @4;30 AM, and cook your own breakfeast, walk 3 to 5 miles from camp by yourself. You return after dark & need to eat, so you are dead tired and have to make dinner when the only thing you want to do is hit the sack.
No wonder you didn't kill anything you didn't get outta bed early enough.That sounds like any elk hunt I have ever been on. Thats just elk hunting. We got a saying around our huntsIf your ass isn't a half inch off the ground when you get back. You didn't hunt hard enough.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:38 PM
Typical Buck

Go guided if you can but I know that is $$$. Co can offer some great DIY trips for a good amount less. It all depends on what you want out of the hunt and can afford.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

FF, I was in your same shoes 4 yrs ago. I really wanted to hunt Elk but had never been and no idea how. So let me tell you this. If you have NO Elk experience, No Mountain hunting experience, No back packing in high elevation experience, and noone you know thats going thats done all this before. Do yourself a favor, and go guided the first time. There's nothing wrong with DIY or drop camp hunts. But if your unexperienced your in for a totally new world of hunting. You'd have a ton more planning to do, and all the gear you'd need to purchase for a DIY hunt, you spend close to what a guided hunt costs. Ok the guided hunts can be expensive. But your also talking afirst in a lifetime experience, and in my book how can you put a price on that!!
So I went guided, archery, Colorado. No I wasn't successful, but I had one heck of a time. I have no regrets. In fact I went back this Sept again, and enjoyed myself just as much. I'm so glad I went guided, and learned a ton. If I go again I'll do a drop camp or a DIY.
But I feel if you've never experienced it before, make it easier on yourself the first time. trust me you'll have enough to worry about just getting ready for a guided hunt.
Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Quick Reply: Planning an Elk hunt for next year. Need help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.