Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 Alaskan Public Black Bear Hunt >

Alaskan Public Black Bear Hunt

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Alaskan Public Black Bear Hunt

Old 03-11-2003, 05:00 PM

Default Alaskan Public Black Bear Hunt

Hello, can anyone/everyone Help me? I would like to Hunt Black Bear in Alaska and I would like to know if there is any public land I can hunt on, for Black Bear? any and all info would be great.
Old 03-11-2003, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Alaskan Public Black Bear Hunt

Tons of public land. You have a ton of options all over the state. A lot of the areas that are easily accessible are fairly crowded at certain times of the year. You would have to figure out what area to start from, then work from there as far as access to good hunting areas, how to get there, where to stay, etc. South East Alaska would be a good place to start looking as bear numbers are higher down there. You could check with some of the fish and game dept' s out of Ketchikan, Petersburg and other south east cities.
Old 03-12-2003, 10:15 AM

If I was to plan a black bear hunt in AK, it would have to be in South East, more and bigger bears. I would probably hear for Prince of Wales Island out of Ketchican. Here is a great link to some of ADF&G' s helpfull information:

http://www.state.ak.us/adfg/wildlife...ing/huntak.htm

The rest of the F&G site is full of great information also, do some surfing.

Good luck!
Old 03-12-2003, 11:41 AM
Typical Buck

THOSE GUYS DON' T KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT.THERE IS NO PUBLIC LAND OR BLACK BEARS IN ALASKA.[][>:] ONLY KIDDING BOTH OF THEM ARE GIVING YOU GOOD INFO , THEY ARE BOTH FRIENDS OF MINE. EVEN THOU THEY ARE PRETTY MUCH ROOKIE BEAR HUNTERS. TONGASS NATIONAL FOREST HAS CABINS IN S.E. AK THAT CAN BE RENTED AND SOME MAY EVEN HAVE BOATS. THERE WAS A GUY I MET THAT RENTED A HOUSE AND TRUCK OUT TO HUNTERS ON P.O.W. ISLAND HE ALSO HAD A SKIFF THAT COULD BE RENTED.... LAST TIME I LOOKED FOR THE BROCHURE I COULD NOT FIND IT [X(][:' (]MAYBE HE WILL BE AT THE AK BOWHUNTERS BANQUET THIS COMING W/E AND I WILL GET THE ADDRESS AND PHONE NUMBER FOR YOU. POW HAS A ROAD SYSTEM MANY OF THE OTHER AREAS OF SE ARE AS GOOD IF NOT BETTER BUT IT WOULD BE BOAT ACCESS.