New Mexico mule deer, unit 33 >

New Mexico mule deer, unit 33

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

New Mexico mule deer, unit 33

Old 07-30-2008, 08:31 PM
Spike

Default New Mexico mule deer, unit 33

My buddy and I drew a New Mexico mule deer tag in unit 33, Oct 25-29 (rifle). Just wonderin if anyone has hunted the area or had any advice. Any info would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:37 PM
Spike

Default RE: New Mexico mule deer, unit 33

I drew in 34 for Bow. Never hunter over as far as 33 but this willpush it back to the top.

Good luck
Greg
Old 08-19-2008, 07:56 PM

Default RE: New Mexico mule deer, unit 33

I hunt unit 32 almost every year. If you aren't familiar it is right across hwy 70 from 33. Try to stay close to the Pecos. The deer will move in and out of the salt cedar that lines the river. Find a hill, ridge, or any other vantage point where you can glass a large area. As usual you will see the most activity during first and last light. During the heat of the day glass all the shade. Don’t take anything for granted. I have seen them use individual mesquite trees in a wide open flat to escape the sun. Also watch for hogs at last light. I have taken a few hogs off the Pecos near Roswell. They stay fairly close to water, and you can find them in small pockets of trees that are holding water during the day. I don't recommend blindly walking through the salt cedar that lines the river. You won't do anything but run off your quarry. Try to be patient and I guarantee that you will at least see deer. If you want, PM me and I’ll send you my contact info so I can answer any other questions on the phone. Good luck, I believe that 32 and 33 are a couple of the better units. Also WATCH OUT FOR RATTEL SNAKES!!!! There are plenty to be found down there.