Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 Didn't Draw my Montana Tag-What's next? >

Didn't Draw my Montana Tag-What's next?

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Didn't Draw my Montana Tag-What's next?

Old 04-18-2008, 07:27 AM
Spike

Default Didn't Draw my Montana Tag-What's next?

Well I didn't draw my Montana Elk/Deer combo tag, but my Uncle did so I am still planning on a trip to Montana this year. Now my question is we are going to be hunting units 424 and 442 what other tag options do I have? I have been review the regs. and it looks like I can apply for a cow tag in unit 442. Are there any other tags for NR Mule Deer? I am also planning on getting my upland bird and fishing license so I won't be completely out of things to do but would like to hunt big game while I am out there. Any help or recommendations would be awesome!!
Old 04-18-2008, 02:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Didn't Draw my Montana Tag-What's next?

look into it.....leftover tags? or perhaps cow/doe tags? Antelope deadline still hasn't come......

Old 04-18-2008, 03:14 PM
Spike

OTC tags are available (bulls and cows) in Colorado and Wyoming.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:11 PM
Spike

I know Colorado and Wyoming I can get tags however I already have a family member who drew the Montana tag so I am already going to Montana and just looking for the other options. I am looking at the cow tags so it might be possible to draw one of those. I am not interested in whitetail deer tags cause I can already hunt them here at home so I would like to hunt something new. I have never been bear, elk, or mule deer hunting so I would like to harvest one of them.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:20 AM

There are some licences left over every year from cancellations and what not, call Fwp in Helena, the licensing dept. and ask them what to do about applying for those. I know a guy who got a deer tag that way last year. You can Pm me if you want, I could check into it for you.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:28 PM
Spike

HI cakreiner.

You do still have a couple of options, depending on the unit. I am in a similar situation. I drew the tag and my uncle did not. (Kind of funny how its reversed ) Anyhow, I called into the MT fish and game, and he or in your case you, can still apply for antelope, antlerless deer and some cow elk. It all depends on the zone, but its via the special permit form, that is due back on June 2nd. Your uncle should have gotten one its a brown sheet of paper. The MT F&G lady told me I could just make a copy of my sheet and give it to my uncle to send in. Anyhow, its not for every unit, but check out the regulations and even call their offices for further clairfication. Good luck.