Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 Oregon elk hunters >

Oregon elk hunters

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Oregon elk hunters

Old 02-28-2003, 07:47 AM

Default RE: Oregon elk hunters

We hunt up fairly high and drop down into the canyons, I have been all the way up the north fork meacham creek on mule. I am thinking about hikeing into the shimmerhorn. I read that last year the police found a pot growing operation in bear creek that had 8,000 plants...did you hear about that? do you think it was the bear creek that is off of forest road 31. If it was those guys were tough since that trail is fairly steep. I was shown this area back in the ' 70s by an old man that had guided for 30 + years in there, I fished the north fork while there and caught alot of trout.
Old 02-28-2003, 01:07 PM

whtelk
No, I had not heard about the pot growing operation. Stumbling to to something like that could be bad for your health.
Back in the early 80' s there was a big poaching sting up there. I can' t remember how many elk that were poached, but I remember that it was quite a few[:@].
We have never hunted much higher than Sugarloaf around 5 points creek down to Pelican creek. In the 70' s you could see elk almost every time you left camp, even if they were cows and calves. Last year was the first time I hunted up there and did not see an elk. I will probably be back up there again this year.
Old 02-28-2003, 07:29 PM

Camohunter, are you rifle hunting the unit or archery? I am going to hunt archery again and now I have enough points to get 1 of the 61 tags this year but am going to wait until next year when my hunting partner will have enough points too. I scouted it one year the last week of august and never seen anything really big but saw alot of cows and raghorns. I sure Love that country though.
Old 02-28-2003, 07:51 PM

I agree whtelk, I love that country too. I was probably 15-16 years old when my dad finally started taking me up for a full week of hunting. Back then we were going up there about the middle of November. We sure hunt earlier in the year now (late October). Boy sometimes that 2-3 weeks makes a big difference in the weather.
We started hunting in the Ochoco' s in 1983. That elk country sure looked different over there. We had always deer hunted there too. First year in central Oregon I was lucky enough to bump into a 330+ bull. That made the change of areas a little easier. I started bow hunting in the late 80' s and hunted Mt Emily one year then went to the Ochoco and Heppner units. Then, as I said on an earlier post, I started going back with my sons and I try to do that every year now.
Last year I archery hunted elk for a week in late September, then rifle hunted with my oldest son and friends. Good thing I had lots of vacation time
Old 03-01-2003, 08:40 AM

We archery hunt the Ochoco' s every year. Last year we ended up moveing to a new area, the old spot just wasnt holding the elk. We found an area that was real good, 1 day we had a herd that was moveing through a small canyon that numbered around 50 head. My hunting partner had 4 bulls at different times within range but not a one presented a shot, two were sparring and the others were watching all this. I cut across the ridge to intercept them and missed a large cow and saw a big bull. Ended up seeing 11 bulls on that trip but no meat . This year we will be over there for two weeks. Last year we tried the first week of the season but this year it will be the last 2.
Old 03-02-2003, 06:50 PM

whtelk, that sounds like alot of fun. I have bow hunted in the heppner unit for the last 7-8 years. There are some big bulls where your hunting, good luck.
Old 05-08-2003, 11:37 AM

I have bowhunted in the La Grande area the last several years for Elk and Deer but have an opportunity to hunt a ranch along the Crooked River somewhat near Prineville this year. Anyone familiar with this area? Is it a good area? I believe the area is in both the Paulina and Maury units. Any input would be appreciated. I am told the area is mostly juniper and sage with " some" timbered draws.