Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 Alaska Thread >

Alaska Thread

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Alaska Thread

Old 11-25-2003, 07:09 PM

Default RE: Alaska Thread

Juno and I took the boat out, I love the way she handles, can' t wait to get her in the river. Boat handles ok too! MY Boat is awsome, didn' t get to see the top speed yet on the GPS, still breaking in the new engine. Now have about 1.5 hours on the engine. Cruises at about 35, not bad. Scary with the prop on the 90, glad I traded in the 150, it would have been dangerous. May still be dangerous with the older son driving, or VBM, EITHER ONE![>:] Like having no worries about the hull. Traded the old boat and 50 hp in for a new jet unit. It should be in when I get back around Christmas.

Nim- Please bring the windlass to the slope so I can bring it back to Juneau. I get up there about the9 th and back here Dec 24. Thanks.
Old 11-25-2003, 10:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

SEAK, glad to hear you like the boat. For a small boat like that, a 120hp motor can get you in some real trouble. It' ll get you to trouble faster than the 90 horse at least. I hope we don' t find ourselves digging trenches like ol' nimrod.

Great news on the trade in too! Sounds like a better deal that what you were thinking you were going to get.

I go back up north on the 8th and leave on the 24th, so we should be able to get the trap line going on this hitch. Can you get your hands on some fox urine before heading up? I doubt I will be able to except for some mail order stuff.
Old 11-26-2003, 09:10 AM
Typical Buck

juno grl- oops i actually tried to look back ( but did not find it) and see who seak said went on the hunt , old guy thing ....could not remember! [&o]
seak- i will try to get to mike' s and get the windlass.....he left yesterday. i leave in 2 hrs.
abm- i just looked through the regs and i could not find any mention of max let off so it is ok we won' t have to worry about that.
Old 11-26-2003, 10:09 AM

Nim--Not a problem--had to take the opportunity to tease you, though!
Old 11-27-2003, 12:54 AM

VBM - I will be in hickville for a week before I come up, will look around and see if I can find something to soak a paper towel in prior to using it for a nose plug....[:' (]

Wish I were going to be in Juneau for the week end, it is snowing like a big dog and the deer hunting should be increadibly productive. But no... I get to go to Californ-yuk and drive to Hickville. Well that should be more fun than hunting anyhow [X(].
Old 11-27-2003, 02:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bummer dude. Wish the kids could stay up in Juneau as I' m sure you guys are having a blast. It sure is nice to be home for a holiday finally. We are going to cook up the turkey, Twice mashed taters, greens, candied yams, mac and cheese, stuffing, cherry pie, pumpkin pie and biscuits later today. And that' s just for the three of us! Should have lots of leftovers! This is the first time it has just been me, Tammy and Amber for a holiday though, so we are going to make the best of it. I' m up now at 1:20am sending replies to work e-mails. This is getting old quick, and it seems like I' m walking and talking in an empty, endless tunnel.

Heard it was 20 below in Fairbanks today and supposed to get to 35 below tonight. I can deal with the 70 and sunny we got here today. [:-]

If you can' t find any pee, let me know and I' ll get some shipped up. Probably should do it anyway as we' ll go through it throughout the winter.

[b]HAPPY TURKEY DAY EVERYONE!
Old 11-29-2003, 07:45 PM

Jerry

Didn' t take any photos from the hills. I drove around quite awhile trying to find a good place to set up. I was out in the area you recommended, but it seemed just too far away. I ended up satisfied with the Stratosphere. I did drive out to Red Rock Canyon...if you have not been there yet, I highly recommend swinging over there.

Sure could of used some of that jerky for the road. I' ll have to get some pointers from you one day. I like the tendernous of your meat (was that out loud)...I mean jerky.

Ran into a little snow on the way back home. Nothing serious. Might make the drive back down there again in January, as my brother will be there for a week.

Here is a pic I shot from the Stratosphere. Actually two pics stitched together. If you want the original for printing, let me know...beats having to purchase one.

Jim

Old 11-29-2003, 10:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I' m starting to feel like a real man with all these compliments on my meat. [&:] Just wish more of these compliments would come from ladies instead of men! [][X(][X(]

Great picture by the way! I like those panoramic views. For those of you that might be curious, my temporary home is to the right of the Rio, which is the building on the far right of the photo with the red and blue verticle lights, probably about another mile from that. Did you do any of the rides on the top of the strat? I hear they just put a new one in. Let me know if you come back down in January, I' ll be here till the 22nd, but we might take a drive to Colorado or Kansas sometime in there. My brother and cousin are driving down for New Years, and the in' hack' laws are coming down for a week around the 27th of December. I' ve got 4 weeks off of work to relax and enjoy the holidays with family.

Is SEAK still in junu... er, I mean Juneau, or is he back in hick ville? I guess I' ll be seeing him soon enough back in Prudhoe. Curious to hear how your Thanksgiving went and if you guys got back out in the boat?

Old 12-02-2003, 04:15 PM

Okay, Jerry, here you go: Nice meat. We made some awesome caribou polish sausage and breakfast sausage out of it. It was really great.

SeAk's down in Hickville for a few more days, then home for a day before heading back up to the slope. I just came home from Hickville yesterday. Despite his disgruntled-ness on his last post, he's really glad that we went down to California--he got to see the engineering marvel that is the Golden Gate Bridge, meet my grandpa, and see all the deer and wild turkeys on his property...and even got an invitation to go bowhunt the wild turkeys. And don't let him tell you any different: he thought the visit to the Jelly Belly factory was fun!

We didn't get a chance to get out in the boat again--too many family obligations. Wendy finally started getting over her strep throat on Thanksgiving, so was able to be at the family dinner. I told him he could go hunting without me (sniff sniff) when he's home during Christmas. I'll only be two weeks recovered from my second surgery (having it next Wednesday), so I'm not much good for walking about then. Should be off crutches at least, so could hopefully go for a boat ride at least!
Old 12-03-2003, 12:20 AM

Juno - Gee, I'd volunteer to go down and thin Grandpa's turkeys! No charge. Does he like halibut? LOL

Quick Reply: Alaska Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.