Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 Alaska Thread >

Alaska Thread

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Alaska Thread

Old 06-25-2003, 02:12 AM

Default RE: Alaska Thread

ABM - Nice looking bear, but I had to stand on the other side of the room to get the picture in perspective! LOL Boy, you' re making me drool thinking about fresh caribou meat - maybe we should/could work out a ' but for ' bou trade? I will be targeting halibut after the 4th, right now there is a pretty good supply of chum and pinks around the area that work great for bait. The bigger the chunk of bait, the bigger the fish. I get my boat back in the water this weekend - with a fresh coat of anti-fouling paint on her (one less project).

In case I don' t get back to posting before you take off, good luck on the caribou and don' t let the bugs pack you off!
Old 06-25-2003, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Phish, I' d be more than willing to do a little barter. We just beer battered the last of our ' but, so we are fresh out. Some of the old caribou meat is going in for pepperoni, but we should have plenty after our hunt during the first week of August. If I manage to pull down Rudolph on the 4th of July weekend, we' ll have to keep in touch about this.

Good luck out fishing. I' ll be hunting after hours at work, and things have been a tad slow on the slope, so I should be able to get some longer nights in out there.

If you bump into SEAK down there, tell him to give me a call. I' m curious to see how he did in the marathon.
Old 06-26-2003, 12:23 PM

Hi AMB!
SeAk did AWESOME in his marathon. He did try to call you, but I guess wasn' t able to connect. He came in 27th of 106 in his age group, and 212th overall of more than 1700 in the marathon. Did the race in 3:54:15, so was excited about doing it in under four hours. He took Sunday off, went hiking 6 miles on Monday, ran 3 miles on Tuesday...then pulled a muscle in his leg when swinging around some luggage...so he' s a little gimpy right now, but still riding high on his marathon experience....I' ll let him tell you the rest!

Hope you are doing well--so sorry to hear about Tammy' s aunt.

Nice bear!! Hope it' s yummy!
Old 06-27-2003, 01:15 AM
Typical Buck

SEAK- GREAT GOING ON THE MARATHON!
I NEED A PACK ANIMAL FOR MY SHEEP HUNT IN SEPT. ARE YOU AVAILABLE?????
HEADING OUT IN THE AM FOR 4 DAYS ON THE BOAT. WE WILL BE DOING OUR FINAL FAIRWELLS TO JIM. [:' (] [&o] ALL OF HIS KIDS ARE HERE. MOST OF THEM ARE COMING BACK TOMARROW NIGHT. THE REST ON SAT.

LATER PAT
Old 06-27-2003, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Way to go SEAK! I was curious how he was going to do since all his running has been on a treadmill. Sounds like he faired pretty well. How long was the Marathon? 26 miles? Wouldn' t surprise me since he does all those 9 minute miles up here. Nim, sooner or later we' ll get the chance to call him our mule.

Best regards on your upcoming trip Nim, hope all goes as well as it can. My wife and family are going to Kotzebue in the first week of July to spread her aunt' s ashes over the areas were she helped so many people over the years.

The caribou are starting to wander through town. Seen a couple of nice racks starting. I pan fried a parkers squirrel last night. [X(][X(][X(] More garlic next time. Maybe the skinny ones taste better. The one I shot yesterday was a rollie pollie little guy. I stalked some bou as well with the camera. Got 25 yards from a herd of 12 and clicked a picture of em. There were 8 bulls, 2 cows and 2 calves. Only one bull had points coming off the tops. Season is getting close. Hopefully I can fill a spot in Phish' s freezer!
Old 06-29-2003, 12:52 AM

ABM - Sounds like I better get the halibut filleting knife honed and ready! (I might have to cheat and go over to Sitka for a couple of days - it takes a lot less effort to put up some nice fillets over there.) I wish I knew how to post photos, I just got a great one by email of my son-in-law over there with a bunch of whoppers on the floor of his charter boat.

I bet Juno grl is getting primed for the King crab opener on the 1st - if not the fishing, at least the eating. I' m seeing a lot of pots getting hauled down the docks as people are getting ready.

Today was " wildlife day" for me driving back and forth to Tee Harbor: 3 black bear and 4 deer (only 1 fawn). Deer season is just 33 days away! One of the bears was a real doozy! I am certain it is the biggest black I have ever seen (alive and kicking)! []

ABM & Nim - I was sorry to hear that each of you has lost a friend or relative lately.

Old 07-01-2003, 10:33 AM
Typical Buck

well jim' s memorial went well. we only caught 4-5 haibut the day of the memorial and day after. saw 4 pods of dall porpoise, 2 humpbacks, one shark and three deer. then i took my family out for two days. wow the weather was great. water was flat and severe sun. [8D] sure makes me not want to sell the boat. with the family we ended up with 6 ' but and a few rockfish also saw one pretty nice black bear while anchored for the night. biggest ' but was 50-55 so they were perfect. boat was running great 32knots yesterday cruises at 25-27 knots nicely. now it is rainy and i want to go shoot some fish the only day i can' t go is the day they are forcasting some sun.
Old 07-01-2003, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Glad all went well and you guys caught some fish. Most of all, I' m glad the weather cooperated while you were out. It' s been fairly nice up north, but foggy in the morning. I' m headed out tonight to see if there aren' t some straggler bou' s that haven' t worked their way into the oilfields yet. Pretty good amounts this year came right through town and the field.

Phish, good luck with the halibut. Are you going to go after crabs too, or just rely on your kindly neighbor? I haven' t heard from either of those two in a while, SEAK or junogrl. Hope they are out having fun. If you want help with those photos, e-mail them to me and I' ll post em for you.

I' ve been scratching all over as well. Got to be from those dang drawing permits. I' ve got the itch pretty bad this year, although I know the $20 I gave to fish and game for the permits will just turn into donations. I only applied for a few, but I guess you gotta keep hope alive!

Man, 108 in Vegas yesterday[X(] and it is supposed to stay like that for the next two weeks. 14 days till I' m there.

Old 07-02-2003, 10:02 AM
Typical Buck

abm- don' t worry it' s a dry heat, [>:] oh yea i' d be looking foreward to going to 108 degree temps.. i strugglled with the high 80' s when i was down south.[:@][:' (][X(]
Old 07-02-2003, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, at least I' ll be able to find out which is worse, a cold winter Alaska day or a hot summer Vegas day, heck, I' ll be getting one or the other year round now. [&:]

No caribou last night, they seem to have all made their way up to the coast early this year. Hopefully some stragglers will show up, or start wandering south. The river is still murky as well, so grayling fishing has been slow. I can' t tell if the river is high, because in spots it looks lower, and in smaller channels from last year, they are moving pretty good this year. I think the river is taking on some new paths, pretty cool watching the changes over the years though though. I can' t even walk the mile out to my old fishing hole, a new, deep channel has developed over the last three years, and is impassable now with waders, even when the water level is low.

Phish, here' s your ' but photo. Looks like some healthy size fish, not too big, but definately not too small.

Talked to SEAK last night. He' s been out hiking up glaciers and camping with his kids. He sounds like he' s having a good time and enjoying himself.

Quick Reply: Alaska Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.