Panhandle Archery Elk-Unit 9??? >

Panhandle Archery Elk-Unit 9???

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Panhandle Archery Elk-Unit 9???

Old 02-05-2003, 05:09 PM

Default Panhandle Archery Elk-Unit 9???

Fellow Hunters

I have purchased my Elk tags and have made a couple of calls and the people I have spoken to have directed me towards unit 9. However it has been relayed to me that that area is very very brushy. Any input on this? Basically my question being, we are looking at attempting to locate Elk in unit 4 or 9. We are torn. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

brianb
Old 02-07-2003, 03:05 PM

Default RE: Panhandle Archery Elk-Unit 9???

I guess you are are talking about Idaho.
Very Very brushy pretty much describes all of North Idaho.
Steep, deep, brushy and wet.
You don't say where you are from.
If you live in Idaho or close by you will definitely want to do some scouting for an area that looks like the kind of country you want, or are able, to hunt.
The best advice I can give you is be in shape and wear clothes that will keep you warm when wet. Many of the locals wear wool.
Also easy country to get lost in, lots of thick timber. Take a compass, map and GPS with you if you have it.
Not trying to turn you off just want you to know that hunting elk in North Idaho is serious business.
On the bright side there are lots of elk in those areas and get a bear tag as well, you will probably run into some bears up there.
Good luck with your hunt.
Old 02-10-2003, 08:17 AM

brianb I just hunted Idaho this past year for archery elk. I hunted in the Dworshak Resevoir unit. Just outside of Clarkia. Like Noway said though its no place for rookies. They haven't had a fire in there since the 1920's so its real thick also the steepest country you can find just about anywhere. If your looking into hunting the area I'm talking about I would be happy to share any info.
Old 02-10-2003, 02:52 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-11-2003, 10:32 PM

Hey guys ,

Thanks for the input. I think that we have narrowed it down to unit 7 where we are going to Bowhunt from Sept 19 thru the 30th. Any suggestions of where to go in Unit 7? I am concerned about this thick brush everyone speaks of. Even though it sounds tough it seems as though a good amount of people still hunt it?

Any input is always appreciated.

Brian Blair
Old 02-12-2003, 09:03 AM

Brian,
Lots of folks still hunt those areas. Lots of locals and outfitters who have hunted it for years and know their way around.
Get some maps and call the Forest Service. Find areas with trails and old logging roads for access. In less traveled and popular areas you can call off the access roads. No doubt you will be able to find an area to hunt and have a great time. We are just trying to let you know that it will be really tough if you just show up there wanting to hunt and haven't done your homework.
My brother in law hunts unit 7 every year and they shoot a lot of elk in there. It is not an easy place to hunt if you are serious about getting an elk.
A scouting trip to familiarize yourself once you nail down an area from your research is highly recommended.
Just be prepared for the thick timber brush and steep terrain, if you do your homework and are prepared there is no reason to think you won't have a great time and have opportunities to get an elk.
Good luck with your hunt!
Old 02-20-2003, 08:51 AM

lets see where should i start. After 2o years of hunting unit 7 I now hunt a different unit. But there are elk everywhere in north idaho. unit 7 and 9 had a terrible winter kill lets see about 5 years ago. it is just starting to get back to the way it used to be. the bluff creek area is a good place to start. horses or motorcycles will get you into the better hunting spots around mosquito and simmons. also slate has been good. unit 4 did not have the huge winter kill and is the largest elk kill zone in the state. it is very very brushy where the joe is just brushy in spots. unit 4 also has plenty of hunters. lots of elk though. id tell ya hot spots but i myself stay away from the masses of hunters. the secret of north idaho is where i hunt and its unit 1. the elk have moved in and with the low hunter rate its easy pickens for me. but then ive lived here forever. unit 1 is huge you need to spend time to scout to find the elk where as unit 7 the elk are in every draw. good luck

scott