1st season Cow elk!!! >

1st season Cow elk!!!

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

1st season Cow elk!!!

Old 10-22-2007, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 1st season Cow elk!!!

I know I am alittle slow but I have been pretty busy....I process my own animals and wanted to get her done quick and in the freezer....just in case it got too warm.
We hunted the 1st season elk only and I must say that was the most elk I have ever seen while elk hunting......wish I would have had a either sex tag....could killed some nice bulls...then again what I would have given to have a had a buck tag....saw some monsters..they would give some cow elk a run for their money in body weight!!!
Opening say we just walked from the trailer and went straight up the hill which was no easy alk...walked to darn near the top......no logging roads only game trails to walk. Got up there and vould hear the bulls a bugling!!! What a sound.....never get tired of hearing that!! My dad opted to stay a little lower...which was not a bad idea had he had a bull tag after the shooting started he saw 10 bulls all running toghter and 2 of them were definete wall hangers!!!
Before the sun had come up I found a real nice area I could sit and watch a good clearing and ravine. Just as the sun started to come up i heard something running behind me about 50 yards down the hill.....so proceded to go and check it out......good thing...about that timwe when I was down from my pack a bit later I heard what sounded like a herd of cattle coming down the mountain...breaking every branch in the process.....it was 4 elk and their was no stopping them and they went 5 yards from where my pack layed. 20 minutes later I decided to walk to the west a bit to see if I could get a better vantage point and at that time I saw 4 elk(2 cows and 2 spikes) coming down a trail so I just kneeled down where I was and they proceeded to just come closer....so when I thought they were close enough I flipped the saftey off.......stopped her on a dime!!!! And then the .338WM came to barking!!!! She turned and ran an amazing 100 yards and I was just about to pump her again but had to wait for the other cow to move... and then just as she moved she fell over and proceeded to kick the crap out of a small little bush. I was so suprised she would go so far, but when you shoot one at 55 yards the bullet just not have time to do it job!!! Quite a bit shooter distance than last years cow....about 300 yards closer!!!
My buddy closed the deal also...he was hunting about 500 yards to west of me and shot his at about the same time!!! Was a good trip!!
Took Pete and I two trips down the mountain to get each of them out!!! was well worth it!!!!

Old 10-23-2007, 07:53 PM

Default RE: 1st season Cow elk!!!

congrats on a successful hunt
Old 10-24-2007, 09:48 PM
Spike

congrats.. on the nice cow.. where u get her at?

Old 10-25-2007, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

CONGRATS!!!!
Old 11-04-2007, 07:46 PM
Typical Buck

Nice cow. where about in colorado?
Old 11-04-2007, 09:38 PM
Fork Horn

Good job Goose! Looks like some familiar country.....[8D]
Old 11-05-2007, 06:02 AM

Congrats!!!
Old 11-05-2007, 06:03 AM
Dominant Buck

Great job and sounds like a good hunt. Nice eating there. We went South Central Colorado 2nd season OTC bull only and did 2 for 3 but we all had chances. We got a real nice 6X5 on day 1 and a decent 5X4 on day 4. The 3rd guy had a peak at a 6x6 on day 4 but it walked off into the dark timber before he could close the deal.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:04 PM

Its a heck of a good felling...good job
Old 11-09-2007, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

We were hunting north of Hayden.

Quick Reply: 1st season Cow elk!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.