I used to live in Great Falls many, many years ago and used to hunt Antelope all the time,..." />

Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 Montana super tag winner for antelope >

Montana super tag winner for antelope

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Montana super tag winner for antelope

Old 08-09-2007, 07:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default Montana super tag winner for antelope

Well I wish I had my brothers luck this year for getting drawn for tags, he just found out he won the Montana Super Tag drawing for Antelope and he's totally excited. I used to live in Great Falls many, many years ago and used to hunt Antelope all the time, but as I told him today that won't be much help to him now. So what I want to know is if you were drawn for the super tag where would you hunt and also if you have any recommendations for a good Antelope guide services please pass that along too.

I told him that this is his chance to get a really outstanding wall hangerand that he should put in as much effort in getting a real trophy as he would in getting a trophy Elk. So he is going to do his research and see what he can find but any help from you guys will be gratefully appreciated. He's not looking for anyone’s honey hole but then again this isn't just any old tag either and he needs quality information. On my brothers behalf thanks in advance for any and all help...

Old 08-09-2007, 08:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Montana super tag winner for antelope

Congrats to your brother. What district did he originally apply for ???

It would seem to me that unlike deer or elk, which definately have certain trophy areas that are carefully managed and guarded by state regulation, Antelope, to me, seem to be more managed just for overall numbers per area. So you can find "wall hangers" in most of the huntable areas as long as your willing to put more effort into the hunt itself.

That said, I would look at a hike-in, camp out hunt possibly in the custer national forest (district 7, I believe).

Good luck.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:24 PM
Fork Horn

hillbillyhunter1,

My brother wasn't in the normal drawing as such, but he bought the raffle tickets that the state sells for all the big game animals (Montana Super Raffle). It cost him $5 for each ticket and he got the only state wide tag issued, hunt whenever there is an open season andwith any weapon tag. So he is looking to try and find a real trophy antelope is possible. I know that most of the really big antelope run around 16", but I also know that there are some that go another couple inches bigger but you just have to find the right spot.

I hunted eastern MT for antelope for 5 years back in the middle 80's when I was stationed there in the Air Force and we had a blast hunting speed goats. I just hope it works out for him to get a real trophy if possible.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I understand AZ and I know how the supertags work (and I think they're great) I just figured that your brother applied for a regular tag and then also applied for the super tag too. Still, I don't think that there is some specific area that is particularly well known for the type of antelope you're talking about, but could be wrong. I just figure it's a matter of getting way away from the road (where 90% of antelope hunters are) to find the best bucks.

BTW, a couple of inches better than 16 and your talking world record class antelope--which I doubt can even be found in MT, supertag or not

You might advise your brother to just start calling and talking to outfitters (if you want to go that route) all over the state and see what they say. One of them may have a specific antelope that they've been watching that would be "state record class". That supertag will give you flexibility, that's for sure.

Good luck.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:53 PM

He can hunt on my place. I have a bonafide 17 incher in the wheat stubble every night. I live outside of Great Falls myself.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:31 PM
Fork Horn

BerwindaleBoy,

I sent you a PM.

Thanks...