First Time Turkey Hunting Public Land Colorado >

First Time Turkey Hunting Public Land Colorado

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

First Time Turkey Hunting Public Land Colorado

Old 04-07-2019, 03:27 PM
Spike

Default First Time Turkey Hunting Public Land Colorado

Hi everyone. I'm pretty new to turkey hunting in CO as I am stationed near Colorado Springs now. Last night I decided to go do some scouting in San Isabel National Forest. I looked at the CPW website and the most reported kills were in Las Animas county. I've been doing lots of research online but I know looking at a computer screen will only get you so far.I decided to get up around 3 to make the 3 hour drive only to find out that what onx said was public was really private so I ended up going a little bit more north on Highway 12 to some parking areas and hiking in and seeing what I could find (I can send you the coordinates of where exactly I thought the turkeys would have been). I had a crow call as a locator call and a box call. Did not hear a single thing all day except for a goose that would honk when I blew the crow call. The area seemed to be very good with tall trees and open areas in between that I was sure would hold turkeys (obviously I was wrong). I'm really just asking for your help to maybe find a public land unit that would possibly hold some turkeys. I'm thinking maybe Pike National Forest or the Rampart range but I've heard mixed reviews. The season opens next Saturday and I would like to try this out. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
Old 04-07-2019, 03:52 PM
Spike

I was also looking at the Spanish Peaks Wilderness area as I just found a map that shows where ponderosa pines are and where I was today does not hold green

Anyone have any input on this area? Thanks again
Old 04-09-2019, 11:10 AM
Spike

Best bet is to give the game warden and or biologist for the area you are interested. They will be very helpful on active areas and what is and is not publiuaccess

thanks
buck