HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - First Time Turkey Hunting Public Land Colorado
Old 04-07-2019, 03:27 PM
34KING18
Spike

Default First Time Turkey Hunting Public Land Colorado

Hi everyone. I'm pretty new to turkey hunting in CO as I am stationed near Colorado Springs now. Last night I decided to go do some scouting in San Isabel National Forest. I looked at the CPW website and the most reported kills were in Las Animas county. I've been doing lots of research online but I know looking at a computer screen will only get you so far.I decided to get up around 3 to make the 3 hour drive only to find out that what onx said was public was really private so I ended up going a little bit more north on Highway 12 to some parking areas and hiking in and seeing what I could find (I can send you the coordinates of where exactly I thought the turkeys would have been). I had a crow call as a locator call and a box call. Did not hear a single thing all day except for a goose that would honk when I blew the crow call. The area seemed to be very good with tall trees and open areas in between that I was sure would hold turkeys (obviously I was wrong). I'm really just asking for your help to maybe find a public land unit that would possibly hold some turkeys. I'm thinking maybe Pike National Forest or the Rampart range but I've heard mixed reviews. The season opens next Saturday and I would like to try this out. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you