The BigHorn mountain area >

The BigHorn mountain area

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

The BigHorn mountain area

Old 02-02-2007, 03:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default The BigHorn mountain area

I am going to apply for a mulie tag for region R but am a little confused on how to fill it out. Do I have a better shot at getting a permit byapplying in aspecific hunt area and adding the permit type or shouldI just put the region? I am purchasing the special permit since I don't have any pref. points. Also, the area I want to hunt is the foot hills on the Westside of the BigHorns. Does any body know how I can get a detailed map of the public pieces. I already know I can't venture into the wilderness area with out a resident/guide but Iam looking to hunt the lower elevations around the bases of the BigHornrange.

Thanks
Old 02-02-2007, 03:54 PM

Default RE: The BigHorn mountain area

ORIGINAL: NJheadhunter71

Also, the area I want to hunt is the foot hills on the Westside of the BigHorns. Does any body know how I can get a detailed map of the public pieces.

Thanks
BLM maps will show you an overview of the public/private boundaries, and USGS quad maps will have a smaller scale and show a lot more detail. I buy my BLM maps for $7.50 apiece. I forgot the price of the quad maps, but its about the same as the BLM maps.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:13 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks wyotimberghost, what do you think about the application? Am I better applying for a region or better offarea + hunt type? By better I mean better odds at drawing. Or should I pick an area for the first lotterythen pick a second area for a back up? Something tells me that if I justpick a region "any" deer it may be harder to draw. Or how about this, can I pick a region on the first lottery then pick an area + hunt type for the second lottery. Iassume the maps can be purchased via the G&F websit?Man, I have to tell you Wyoming has a confusing system. I thought NJ was bad.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:02 PM

Not totally sure how the NR application process works but I do know if you apply for a region, you can hunt the whole region except for the area(s) that are special draw. If you plan to hunt the base of the MT. be prepared as it is mostly Private. The farther you are from the mt. the more private, at least where the deer are. If I were to hunt, I would stay on the Mt., maybe hunt the Tombstones or even some areas less accessible parts. I can't tell you where the X is as I don't know as I do not hunt here for deer or elk. Just alot of bird hunting. Decent bucks are also on to by Burgess Jct. Just get here a day or 2 early and do some scouting.
Good Luck
WYOWIRES
Old 02-04-2007, 09:45 PM

I don't know much about the Non-resident application process either. You might want to call the stage G&F office and ask them.

As far as purchasing maps goes, I'm not exactly sure if the G&F website sells them or not. I buy all of mine from local sporting goods stores or the state geological survey here in town. You may just want to call the state BLM office to ask them about purchasing the BLM maps, then pick up quad maps later after you have decided which areas you are intered in hunting. The Bighorns encompass too much area to make buying quad maps for the entire range feasable.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:18 AM
Spike

NJHEADHUNTER71-

You are basically going to want to apply for the "REGION R" general tag. I don't think there is any special hunt areas in Region R except for maybe 2 or 3 areas with special Whitetail only draws. If you draw the Region R tag, you can hunt any area in R starting October 15th. Most all areas in R are "any deer" areas.Exceptions are in 46 or 53 you can only shoot bucks and44 is antlered Muley or any Whitetail. I've hunted the region in the past and looking to apply again this year. Drop me a line and we can talk more.

Good luck-
Old 02-06-2007, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Apply for the region license. That is what I do now that I am a NR. I have hunted this region before and had good luck around the Meadowlark Lake area in the National Forest. Have fun.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:38 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks again for the info. I contacted the Worland BLM office and spoke to a very helpful young lady. I will order the maps once and ifI draw. I don't really know what to look for as far as "good area" goes. I have hunted theMedicine bow before and we just basicly hunted thevalleys with vegetation with allot of glassing.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:05 PM
Typical Buck

Does anyone know if the mulie stay in the upper elevations in the summer than migrate down a littleto the basin aroundthe Bighorns? also what type of weather should one expect in mid Oct? Is it better to camp or to beat yourself up every day walking back to the truck and getting a hotel? The way we hunted the Medicine Bow area was drive and glass, get out walk short distances to river bottoms and glass some more then get back in the truck and drive some more and glass. Is this the common way to hunt mulies out there? It wasn't road hunting because we would sometimes have to walk far distances to even catch up to the groups of deer we were seeing, sometimes several miles.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:07 PM
Fork Horn

I've hunted Region R since '98. You can find deer up high and down low. Weather in mid-October is highly variable. I have seen it in the 70's in the daytime, and I have seen times when daytime highs were in the teens. There are not many hotels in the area. If you stay in Worland you will most probably be looking at a couple hours drive to and from your hunting area. Plan on hiking back off the roads. The majority of roads are bordered by private ground and are unhuntable. The Forest Service and BLM roads are kept hot by road hunters and you won't see anything worthwhile by hunting in the method you describe.

Quick Reply: The BigHorn mountain area

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.