HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   West (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/west-28/)
-   -   Planning a Montana 2007 Archery Elk Hunt (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/west/161415-planning-montana-2007-archery-elk-hunt.html)

Lung Blood 10-24-2006 11:06 AM

Planning a Montana 2007 Archery Elk Hunt

I'm doing my research and want to archery hunt elk in Montana with a good outfitter and I'm looking for recommendations and experiences.

Please give me the outfitters name, dates you hunted and yourexperience.

Thank you in advance.

steveinmontana 10-26-2006 08:16 PM

RE: Planning a Montana 2007 Archery Elk Hunt

See the elk I shot this year "No outfitter" on public land from our cabin. www.thedropcamp.com
Good Luck Hunting
Steve

muley69 10-31-2006 05:23 PM

Who the hell would pay 400 bucks a person to go stay in a cabin you can drive to on public land?

mhill1602 11-01-2006 06:46 PM

Went with Indian Summer Outfitters Sept. 18-27 of this year. Back country, pack-in hunt. Bitterroot National Forest unit 250. Excellent accomendations, food, and guide service. Saw and heard bulls every day. Several close calls, but no shot on trophy size animals. Did harvest 20" Muleybuck. Would highly reccomend outfitter. Will go again when finances allow. Owner Joe Ferraro, 1-866-BIGSKYS.

madmax83192 11-21-2006 09:20 AM

people who are loaded with money

PA_BOW_HUNTER 11-26-2006 06:57 AM

Lung, there are two outfitters near Jardine, MT that I would STRONGLY DISCOURAGE you from. PM me if you want names.... I hunted with one of them this fall, it was a total Clusterf*&k. Too many hunters in camp, total unorganization (guides were tripping over each other in the field), "special" services given to other "high tipping" clients, and a rivalry with the other outfitter in the area that on 3 different occaisions I witnessed intentional spooking of game so neither group of clients would get a shot.

I sure hope you have better luck with your MT hunt than I did.

ultimag 12-02-2006 06:33 AM

heck if you draw a tag their is plenty of national forest if you go with an outfitter i guess you are garaunteed a tag

hillbillyhunter1 12-02-2006 02:26 PM

PA Bow hunter,

Why not post those names for everyone to see. It would serve them right according to your story.

Lung blood,
Mt is a great state, but you are probably going to get a hodge podge of answers on this kind of a post. The best thing to do, maybe,is to determine what type of terrain or areas you'd prefer to hunt in (lots of different terrain and areas there) and find some reliable outfitters as recommended by the MT FWP. Then call, call, call, many, many references provided by the outfitter (a reputable one will have a list as long as your arm--don't settle for a handful) Once you pick out a couple of choices, then come back here and ask again.

There are MANY good outfitters. There are Many "lemons" as well.
You can not do too much research.

PA_BOW_HUNTER 12-07-2006 07:27 PM

ORIGINAL: hillbillyhunter1

PA Bow hunter,

Why not post those names for everyone to see. It would serve them right according to your story.

Lung blood,
Mt is a great state, but you are probably going to get a hodge podge of answers on this kind of a post. The best thing to do, maybe,is to determine what type of terrain or areas you'd prefer to hunt in (lots of different terrain and areas there) and find some reliable outfitters as recommended by the MT FWP. Then call, call, call, many, many references provided by the outfitter (a reputable one will have a list as long as your arm--don't settle for a handful) Once you pick out a couple of choices, then come back here and ask again.

There are MANY good outfitters. There are Many "lemons" as well.
You can not do too much research.

Hillbilly - you are absolutely right. The outfitter I hunted with was North Fork Creek Outfitters - in Jardine. I would NEVER hunt there or recommend them to anyone. The other outfitter in that area that I would not hunt with would be Hellaroarin outfitters.

ultimag 12-07-2006 08:06 PM

Hellaroarin kinda fits your description there PA.