Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 Hunting Colorado- The Front Range (name edit) >

Hunting Colorado- The Front Range (name edit)

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Hunting Colorado- The Front Range (name edit)

Old 07-18-2006, 11:58 AM

Default Hunting Colorado- The Front Range (name edit)

Original Message:

"Hello,

I am new to the area and prefer to have a network of hunting buddies to chat about the best spots, help withretrieving game and planning trips. I live around the Front Range in Fort Collins, Colorado.If you have similar interestsdrop me a line at
[email protected].

I hunt archery, rifle, muzzleloader &shotgun for big game, predators, upland birds and waterfowl. "

Hunting Colorado- The Front Range[/b]

[/align][/b]
Man, you guys are the GREATEST. I ask for a little information and you exceed my expectations. Keep it coming. Thanks![/b]

Here is a quick summary of this forum including best places to hunt, comments, and insight and tactics for hunting individual species:

We had input from hunters from:
Fort Collins, CO
Greeley
Denver
Pueblo West
Denver Metro
Aurora
Parker
Cheyenne, WY

GMU’S/AREAS HUNTED:
19, 20, 23…
Red Feather Lakes
Pawnee Grasslands
Kenosha Pass

BEST PLACES TO HUNT AND SPECIES:
“I hunt around Byers and Deer trail a lot. Elk hunt around Frasier and Granby! Go camping toward Taylor Park and Jefferson Lake on occasion!” - Howler

COMMENTS/INSIGHT/TACTICS

ELK & DEER:
“I am hunting elk and deer for archery and cow elk in 2nd season rifle. To be honest our last two years have been real slow and and we have had alot of rain where I hunt. Years before that when it was dryer we had much better luck…” - GooseHunter Jr.

“I think the elk will be in great shape this year, seems like the mountain meadows are very lush, at least in the areas I have camped this year. If anything, the heavy snows last winter might have put some pressure on the old and weak animals. The plains east of Denver are in bad drought conditions, so hunting out there might include water sources…” - Howler

In regards to tips for hunting around Red Feather Lakes:
“I have seen a lot of deer around that Shangrila ranch and around boy scouts camp. That Shangrila ranch looks like a magnet for deer, every time I drove by there were does and fawns around.” - Laufer303

ANTELOPE:
“I do set up blinds, this year I'm putting up three blinds and I'm going to put them up a couple of weeks before season starts. I'm going to put one blind at water and the other two at fence crossings.” - Howler

SMALL GAME:
“I hunt small game west of Jefferson and in the Pawnee grasslands” - Early

“Kenosha pass for hares and rabbits? I go there too.” - Laufer 303:

“grasslands- baker draw and sand creek off road 674 north of 96. I hunt coyotes and jacks mostly in late winter, early spring …” - Early
“Kenosha- Between cr 127 and tarryall rd. January and February......rabbits and yotes…”

“I was at the same area around terryal rd and saw frozen skunk and porcupine. Got half a dozen cottontails in 4 hours.” - Laufer303

LAND OWNER PERMISSION:
“I've gotten all of my big game access on private property in CO. by hunting coyotes all winter long. Once ya get permission to hunt coyotes, which I have been seldom turned down to hunt coyotes after big game seasons are done, I keep going back and eventually build a trusting relationship with the landowner. After a couple three years of coyote hunting, I then have an idea if I want to hunt big game there, and if so, if my chances are good to get permission to do so. “- Howler

Old 07-19-2006, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting near Fort Collins, Larimer County, Colorado, Roosevelt Forest, Lory State Park, Wyoming

You live in my neck of the woods....I live in Greeley!! I do alotof hunting, fishing and camping in those areas!!
Old 07-19-2006, 08:31 AM

Default RE: Hunting near Fort Collins, Larimer County, Colorado, Roosevelt Forest, Lory State Park, Wyoming

Goosehunter Jr.,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, Greeley is very close by and I have met several top notch hunters from that area.

Whatwill you be hunting this year? How do you think the hunting will be this year withthe heat and lack of rain?

Regards,
Brandon
Old 07-19-2006, 12:38 PM

I live in the Denver metro area so I'm not to far away. I was just up fishing last Saturday and saw a few wonderful elk. Two bulls crossing the road just before nightfall. Private Property of corse but one was a book bull and the other I would have not problem droping. Jovan
Old 07-19-2006, 01:46 PM

gunnut2000,

I have a feeling their are a few record bull elk lurking aroundRocky Mtn. National park and the Roosevelt/Arapaho forests.
Denver is a great city and what makes it even better is it's proximity to the mountains...NY or Boston can't compete with that.
What's your weapon of choice? Any plans for this season? GMU's?
Old 07-19-2006, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think the elk will be in great shape this year, seems like the mountain meadows are very lush, at least in the areas I have camped this year. If anything, the heavy snows last winter might have put some pressure on the old and weak animals. The plains east of Denver are in bad drought conditions, so hunting out there might include water sources.
I'll be archery antelope and elk this year. Didn't draw my mule deer tag. Then it's off to KS. a few times to hunt whitetail. Get that done, and back to business on the coyotes!!
On edit, I don't get up that way often, very seldom actually. I hunt around Byers and Deer trail a lot. Elk hunt around Frasier and Grandby! Go camping toward Taylor Park and Jefferson Lake on occasion!
Old 07-19-2006, 05:11 PM

Howler,

Archery w/Antelope must be quite a challenge...what do you find is the best tactic for harvest...a blind, stalk, treestand? When's the best time of year to huntol' binocular eyes?

I'm happy for you on theElk tag, too bad on the mule tag...can't you obtain a DOW limited license leftover tag?

Kansas for whitetail, why not eastern CO with reduced in-state fees? I heard that public land in Kansas is hard to come by, do you hunt private?

Frasier and Granby, Indian wilderness area seems like it would get a lot of pressure with people coming from Denver, Boulder...do you find this to be the case?
Old 07-19-2006, 05:34 PM
Typical Buck

me too. i work in denver downtown and live in pueblo west.

let's hunt.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

No doubt about the challenge on the speed goats with archery. Last year I finally connected on my goat on my 9th day, and I got him by spot and stalk. I do set up blinds, this year I'm putting up three blinds and I'm going to put them up a couple of weeks before season starts. I'm going to put one blind at water and the otehr two at fence crossings.
We don't seem to have much pressure where we hunt elk, until muzzlelaoders show up. This year, we're getting to cross private to access otherwise hard to reach forest. It'll be new area to us, BUT our contact person seems to think we'll do well. Time will tell I guess!!
I ownfarm land in KS., so I get a landowner tag each year. My family farms in north central KS. I've got access to plenty of land around Deer Trail and Byers to hunt mulie on, BUT ya can't draw a tag every year, and there are no left overs for that area.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:08 PM

Silvertip-co,
Damn straight! Let's hunt!
When are you scouting?

Quick Reply: Hunting Colorado- The Front Range (name edit)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.