Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 New Elk Hunter >

New Elk Hunter

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

New Elk Hunter

Old 04-27-2006, 01:03 PM

Default New Elk Hunter

Is there anyone on here from the Great Falls area who can tell me what to look for when trying to locate elk in The Lewis and Clark Nat'l Forest? It doesn't neccassarily have to be that area, just heavily hunted public land. The area I like holds alot of elk, and I can hunt during the week. I just don't know what kind of areas are better than others when it comes to elk. Also, I'm looking for any elk, not just a bull. This would be strictly archery hunting only.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:47 PM

Default RE: New Elk Hunter

during the archery season i would check in some of the wetter parts of the area your hunting and do a lot of calling even if its just to locate animals and not necessarily call them in. good luck.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:11 PM
Fork Horn

You can usually find elk where they are. The only big game animal you're likely to see move more often and further is a caribou. It's hard to say any "area" is a sure bet especially if you're on public land. That said look high early in the season. Bulls in particular will be up in the serious alpine country during the first weeks of the archery season. Once the rut kicks in they'll usually come down to lower elevations where the cows are more likely to be. Look for boggy areas or wet spots where they'll wallow and then follow any game trails in or out. The best thing you can do is get a quality spotting scope and glass until you physically see what area they're in. It's pretty tough to pattern an elk like a whitetail unless you're hunting them in an irrigated alfalfa field.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:41 PM
Fork Horn

I would go out scouting this summer and look for wallows, rubs, heavily used trails, and elk poop. Especially rubs, those are the areas they are using during our bow season.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:50 PM

They are going to be close to water...streams...and feed so they dont have to travel much-it is just too dang hot for them..
I find them in long -high draws with a field close by and a small stream -running- They will be quiet most of the day and holed up- very late and very early is the best time..
If you call and get an answer-bugling- then get quiet..After that cow call and if u bugle make sure u sound like a small bull..if you run the bull off he will take the cows with him..good luck..
Leep Out:
Old 05-22-2006, 10:23 AM
Fork Horn

Get up on top of the mountain. I stay on top and find saddles that they use to go from one area to another. They like to bed on the north side of the mountain, in the black timber, where it's cool and thick.