Selway B Elk tag, ID >

Selway B Elk tag, ID

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Selway B Elk tag, ID

Old 12-01-2005, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Selway B Elk tag, ID

Whoohooo!! Got one, first try, first year. Not bad for an out-of-state Elk tag, over the counter, any bull tag with rifle from Sept. 15-30! I'm so pumped! Never been there before but I can't wait to hunt somewhere I can shoot something other than a spike only bull.

Anyone know that area or have any suggestions for places to go? Anyone else going there that wants to meet up for some scouting trips? Only 10 months to plan for it...
Old 12-22-2005, 12:13 PM

Default RE: Selway B Elk tag, ID

Get some maps,study them,then we'll talk .I like the river of no return and the trails that go north & south on the montana bourder at the nes.pass.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:59 AM

Great tag!

There is a reason they call it the "river of no return" wilderness though. Steep country and very limited access.

If you want a good bull and can afford it, I'd look into a self guided hunt with an outfitter. They will pack ya in and out, and make life more comfortable. Or go with a full guided hunt if money allows. In that rough country, it will be worth it in the end.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Got all the BLM maps for the area, just so big and vast! Not like where we hunt in E. Wash. but I'm sure we'll figure it out. There are 4 of us but I think we're just going to do it ourselves this year and see how it goes. We'll learn one way or another and be better preparred for the following year. We'll just scout and drive around to get a feel for the area as best as we can and check some sattallite maps of the area and look for openings or other prime spots.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

PM me when you plan on coming over. We may be able to get together and bugle. I work for the Forest Service in the area and I can give you some ideas on where to go.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Brutal. I'll let you know when we plan on coming that way. I imagine we'll go through Elk City on our way up to the area.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bought some BLM maps of the area and frankly I'm not that impressed. Does anyone have recommendations for better maps of the area (units 16a, 17, 19, & 20)?
Old 02-25-2006, 10:53 AM

I too was planning on hunting the Selway Unit this year. I was wondering if anybody knew if I could pull 25 foot trailer along the Magruder Corridor for any distance. I have yet to scout the area so I was not sure how far I could travel in from Elk City. The trailer will have high clearance rugged tires. Was also thinking of entering from the Montana side if that route is a less rugged. Thanks
Old 02-27-2006, 03:55 PM

jeffct01

The magruder pass from Elk City is passable, but I would think twice about trying it with a 25FT trailer. The road is one lane in most places. From the Montana side the road is 2 lane till you reach the selway river and from there to a camping area on the Magruder road is only 4 miles.
On one fishing trip in the summer I meet 3 guys who had traveled the Magruder Pass from Elk City in a motor Home. They were Glad to be at the Selway River Camping Area.
The Selway unit 17 is a great place to Hunt, but hunting can be tough. An elk from the Selway is prize you will never forget.
Good Luck
Old 02-27-2006, 04:35 PM
Typical Buck

Id come in from Conner Mt. Magruder to Elk city is a bad road when its clear, if its got snow, gheez, thats a scary thought.

Quick Reply: Selway B Elk tag, ID

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.