Got my first bear... >

Got my first bear...

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Got my first bear...

Old 09-19-2005, 02:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default Got my first bear...

I killed my first bear over here on the westside last Monday. Weighed in right near 250 lbs. Today I'll be going for my second since I saw two in the same cut when I shot this one. Here is a pic...

Old 09-19-2005, 02:48 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Got my first bear...

Good job! Thanks for sharing!.
What rifle, ammo and how many yards. Scope-No-Scope, what brand?

Old 09-19-2005, 04:59 PM
Fork Horn

congrats, thats a dandy bear.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:46 PM
Typical Buck

Really nice bear. Congrats.

Lets hear the details and the story.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:24 PM
Fork Horn

Not a very long story... My girlfriend and I had been driving around in the woods looking in clear cuts where I had seen bear during the summer. I told her this was the last stop. Got out on the landing and starting glassing. The cut was real thick with briars. Worst I have ever seen. Well, as she (my girlfriend) starting walking across the road towards me I heard something and motioned for her to stop. She did and I glass where I thought the sound came from. There it was. I sawthe bear'shead and neck stretched out looking around. I immediately told her not to move and got into the truck where the gun was and bullets were. Loaded up and headed out to a different edge of the landing I looked and looked but couldn't find it. These were literally 6 ft. briars I was scanning. I headed down the ridge parrelling the ridge I saw the bear on. After about 50 yards I stopped to look the there he was. I got a rest on a nearby stump and dropped him first shot at about 100 yards. Well, I been taught to not stopping shooting till the animal is down so I shot another time as he rolling down the hill and a couple more shots where I just saw black in the moving brush. He stopped moving after about a minute after the first initial shot. I hit him 3 times. Once in the top of the shoulder and it hit his spine (first shot), in front of the shoulder through one lung, and once I knicked him in the foot.

I got him with my dad's Ruger M77 .270 topped with a Simmons Prohunter scope. I was shooting 150 gr. Core-Lokts. Found the two kill bullets. One in the hide and one in the shoulder. Both were still all the way intact.

No luck tonight...