Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 SE Idaho Elk(Trophy or not?) >

SE Idaho Elk(Trophy or not?)

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

SE Idaho Elk(Trophy or not?)

Old 08-09-2005, 05:40 AM

Default SE Idaho Elk(Trophy or not?)

Is 260 a shooter in this area? I will be bow hunting and have heard some poeple talk about some true monster's in SE Idaho. Should I hold out for a bigger bull or am I just pushing my luck? Is A big 5X5 a trophy? I am a NC trophy whitetail hunter and really don't know how to judge elk for the area I am hunting. I want somthing to put in the freezer but I would also love to have something worth hanging on the wall. What is the smallest bull you all would spent $500+ dollars to mount? Please don't take this the wrong way but I am horn hunting. This will be my third year straight hunting in the same area. I have seen lots of elk in the 320to350 range and saw one year before last that would push 380+. I know their in there but should I lower my standard the third time out. Last year I never had a shot oppurtunity and the year before I shot over the back of a 300class bull at 53yrd with my 40 yrd pin. The bull was turning to leave and i pulled my bow to watch the arrow. I'm still sick. But that is what has given me the drive and fire to keep going. Man I love Elk country.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:37 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: SE Idaho Elk

Only you can set the standard by which you determine how big--or little--of a bull you shoot. Sounds like you've established that there are some 300+ bulls in the area. You also mention that you'd like some meat for the freezer. There are few things better than a nice brazed and slow cooked elk steak!Are you holding out for a once in a lifetime trophy, or do you plan to keep hunting elk even after getting a trophy. Some big 5 points have a symetry that makes them more attractive on the wall than some bigger 6 points. Do you have to get it mounted? If you take a smaller, nice bull, you could do a european mount or just put the skull plate on a nice plaque (without the expense of a full shoulder mount). Later on you could still have a should mount done with it on if you choose. I'm a meat hunter myself, but have a lot of respect for the discipline you trophy hunters exhibit as you hold out for what you want. I may go that route someday, but just love the meat too much to go home without it if I can help it!
Old 08-09-2005, 03:29 PM

I'll be hunting 10 full days and that is twice as long as the previous 2 years. Hopefully that will up my odds of harvesting a trophy bull. I know I can(legally) take a cow or smaller bull so I may choose to do that after 8 or 9 days hunting and still have an empty tag in my hand. I sure hope by day 8 I'm eating steak and trying to help the other guys in camp tag out. Thanks and good hunting to you this season!
Old 08-09-2005, 11:06 PM

What unit are you hunting? I hunt in SE Idaho myself.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

In past years I have hunted mostly in Central Idaho but last year and this year while my wife is in school I am hunting SE Idaho too. Huntelk4fun are you from Idaho?
Old 08-10-2005, 05:05 AM

I'll be in unit 76(Diamond Creek). Are you guys also Trophy hunters? Anyone of you live out that way? What units do you guys hunt?
Old 08-10-2005, 05:21 PM

I live in Northern Utah, but originally from Wyoming. I still have family in SE Idaho near Auburn, WY (plus some in Auburn as well). They live just over the hill and state line in Idaho in the Tygee Valley. We will be stomping around in the Diamond Creek Unit (76) as well.

I have a huge LE Utah Archery tag that will consume my time this year. I'll probably let fly an arrow at anything with horns after that when I'm in Idaho.

Where exactly will you guys be stomping around this year?
Old 08-11-2005, 04:43 AM

LOL!!!!!!That is about as specific as I can get on where we hunt. If I gave you every detail my hunting partners would probably have me hanging in camp.
Sorry but there are to many people out there that will take your info and be squatting on your camp site when you get there. Please understand and good hunting this fall.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:08 AM

cravingame-

I totally understand and didn't mean it that way, just more general area. My family members would ban me as well. Sorry, I wasn't trying to ask it in that manner. More along the lines of "cool, another Diamond Creek guy and idahoelk mentioned SE, etc." I'm not looking for a place to hunt, we have that part down. I realize that plenty of lurkers exist out there swiping information. I'm the last one willing to give anything up to anyone. Again, didn't mean for it to sound like "hey, so what canyon you in?".

Good luck on your hunt and I'll 2nd you from above that nothing beats elk country!
Old 08-11-2005, 02:24 PM
Typical Buck

Awe come on guys! Just the minutes and seconds of the GPS coordinates are all we're asking for! lol

Quick Reply: SE Idaho Elk(Trophy or not?)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.