Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Pump -v- Auto

Old 04-30-2005, 08:23 PM

Default Pump -v- Auto

What do you think is a better all round gun, upland and water foul, pump or auto. it will be 3.5 inch chamber. I have a model 1100 remington in 12ga. but it has not chokes or threaded barrle for a choke and is 2.75 chamber and OLD.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Pump -v- Auto

Well since I use reloaded shells, I've found they jam a whole lot less in a pump then a auto. The first time I used a auto, I shot, then started to look for the pump[&:] It's really personal preference, I like pumps, the next guy might like autos, it's up to you. I'd choose a pump though.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:01 AM

That is true KonaBoy, But I have not had reloaded shells jam in my Benelli (knock on wood). Most of the time when you see them jam is when A person is using Low brass in the 2 3/4" shells.
Old 05-01-2005, 09:39 AM
Typical Buck

I like pumps because they are cheaper and don't have any poblems going from 2 3/4 to 3 1/2" shells. Pumps are also faster than autos, but the autos have less recoil. My waterfowl gun is a Benelli Nova and I love it, my rabit and upland bird gun is a Browning BPS 20ga upland special. When I can convince myself to spend the money on an aut I am going to get a Benelli SBE II.

The best thing you can do is go handel some and see which one you like the best.

Good luck.
Old 05-01-2005, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

That may be true but with with your Benelli. But my experience's with 1100's and 11-87's, they seem to jam a lot more in general, especially with reloaded shells.
ORIGINAL: Icducks

That is true KonaBoy, But I have not had reloaded shells jam in my Benelli (knock on wood). Most of the time when you see them jam is when A person is using Low brass in the 2 3/4" shells.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have always been a pump person, but this year I am trying out my first auto ever, I will be able to say more this fall!!!!! Pumps have always beeen very easy for me to use but have just always wanted to give an auto a shot....
Old 05-03-2005, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pumpgun for me too. I`ve used one for over 40 years. My pump is my main(which I have two of) shooter while I have an 1100 in 20ga(modified) for upland. I also own a double and 2 singles for squirrels and rabbits. As mentioned above, the pump has fewer moving parts, easier to fieldstrip, and is cheaper. I used my 870 on anything from squirrels to Greater Canadas, I just use different loads in my shells for the appropiate game.
Adam, let us know how that auto works next fall.

Ron
Old 05-04-2005, 07:43 PM
Fork Horn

A 3" auto is better for all around use than a 3 1/2" auto. A good design auto is very reliable. The best auto won't be as reliable as a pump. Pumps can jam also but it's less common. I'll take a light and quick pointing auto over any pump gun for upland work.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:46 PM

autos are for sissys who can't pump. get a pump. it's much cheaper!
Old 05-06-2005, 08:20 PM
Fork Horn

pumps are for goobers who know nothing about gun balance. get an auto. they handle better!

Quick Reply: Pump -v- Auto

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.