Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Duck hunting tips please

Old 09-16-2002, 09:18 PM

Default Duck hunting tips please

Can any one give me good tips for mallard hunting. Ihave 2 dozen decoys. Any thing will help.
Old 09-18-2002, 01:54 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-18-2002, 07:50 AM

Default RE: Duck hunting tips please

the best tip i could give you about duck hunting is that if you dont really know the different types of calls...especially if hunting on water...is if you see em quack at em once to get there attention and let them do the rest....chances are 9 times out of 10 their gonna come in or at least get close enough for a shot...and with 2 dozen deeks i would say set them up in a rounded of w. that has always been the best set up for me in mn and wa. good luck and happy hunting!
Old 10-13-2002, 04:08 PM
Fork Horn

Duckmeister gave some great advice on decoys. After 40 years of duck hunting I'd do almost the same things, even in timber. Get yourself a calling tape from Haydel's www.haydels.com and learn to blow the different calls ducks make. If you have specific questions, fire away, post a new topic here addresed to T.R., or e-mail me. I guide and write about hunting for a living, and I'll help you all I can. I've got a good book for you to read.

Look for my up-coming articles in the e-magazine.

Hey somewhatnew, where the heck is 56345 in the metro area? I'm in Wanamingo, south of St. Paul.

T.R. Michels
[email protected]

Edited by - trmichels on 10/18/2002 13:26:19

Edited by - trmichels on 11/04/2002 07:06:05
Old 10-16-2002, 08:51 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-17-2002, 09:08 AM
Fork Horn

Actually it makes one heck of a difference. Once you get to thinking like a duck, you'll not only be able to get all the ducks to light on you but will eventually be able to pick the specifics of your shots. I myself like them at 15-20 yards out backpedaling straight on. Take the upper birds first starting from your end of the boat working towards the center. Don't be afraid to move them around while hunting. I do it all the time as conditions change. We do a lot more watching than we do hunting. When you limit out, stay out there a few hours and move your decoys around and watch the reactions of the ducks. You will learn more like that than any textbook answers. There are too many variables to take your strategies out of a book, but they give you a starting point with a lot of basics.
Old 10-23-2002, 01:33 PM

Positioning of decoys is a must when you duck hunt. Ducks land into the wind. The most common patterns are the "U" pattern and the "J" pattern. I like the "U" pattern the most IMO. If the wind is blowing left to right place the curve part of the U to your left. Right to left, curve of the U to the right. You want to make sure you leave room for the ducks to land. No place to land and they will either light outside your decoy spread, or fly away.

Tips on duck hunting:
1. Stay still. Only one person should be watching the ducks.
2. Stay camoflauged. Ducks have very good eye sight.
3. Know where to place your decoys. A must.
4. Dont shoot until you can see their eyes. Don't skybust!!
5. Leave room for other hunters. Dont be a space hog.
6. Stay warm. Flooded fields, wear insulated waders.
and last but not least,
7. Learn to call.

Even the basic calls can call in ducks. Learn the basics first, then advance from there.

Good Luck, and Good hunting.
Old 11-04-2002, 09:14 AM
Fork Horn

One last tip. It certainly doesn't hurt to do some scouting and set up where the ducks want to be. Mallard tornadoes are definately a +.
Old 11-24-2002, 05:56 AM

The best advice to give maybe this .... learn the ducks you want to hunt! You know the park where everyone feeds the ducks bread in the summer? Go there. Listen to the ducks, watch what they do. Learn to copy every noise they make. When do they make that type of noise? Is it while they are feeding? How are they landing? Are they staying in a group? What are they feeding on? What way is the wind blowing ? Are they out of the wind or in it? Lots of questions with lots of answers. Remember the ducks in summer that aren't scared of being shot at, are acting natural and calm. That is what ducks want to see and hear when they swing toward your decoys. Make them believe all is well and then all you'll need is the best advice on how to cook them good luck