Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 How were the bird numbers in YOUR area this year? >

How were the bird numbers in YOUR area this year?

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

How were the bird numbers in YOUR area this year?

Old 02-08-2005, 09:19 AM

Default How were the bird numbers in YOUR area this year?

I hunt the Devils Lake area of ND mostly, with the exception of the special spring "snow goose only" season, in which I'll travel all over the state to get on snow geese on their northern migration.

I noticed a lot less ducks this year (still plenty to hunt, but that's because we're right in the flyway - but noticeably less) and a fairly fast migration (when there were lots of ducks here, they were gone quickly - and not due 100% to cold weather which is usually the case for them to leave).

I had one of my best goose years ever, but ducks were down. How about the rest of you?
Old 02-08-2005, 01:00 PM

Default RE: How were the bird numbers in YOUR area this year?

I live way down in southern Florida, and the birds were alot slower than last year. It wasn't until way late in December that we started to see lots of birds, but no where near the numbers of last year.

Just chaulked it up to the warm weather up north. Besides, all you northerners need some warm weather once in awhile.

I did notice that while I was hunting up in Indiana this year that the locals stated the same thing you're talking about. Although I saw birds every day while I was deer hunting. Switched to ducks and couldn't find one.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not very good until about 2 weeks ago.....lots of birds know....with one week to go in our season.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:00 PM

Deadstick, I hunt eastern SD and the missouri river. I shot more ducks this year then I ever have. But the goose hunting on the river never got hot while I was there, so I shot far less geese then usual. I didn't hunt the same spots for ducks as I have been so I didn't notice any decrease in numbers like you. Most the people I hunt with or talked to had an excellent year for ducks.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:29 PM

Terrible in Minnesota....
Old 02-09-2005, 03:09 AM

not bad in maryland where i hunt
Old 02-10-2005, 07:45 AM

One of the best years in the past four or five years here in eastern SD. Lots of ducks, just had to get out and work for them. Geese ie Canadas were not in their usual haunts and I thought they are down in numbers.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:22 PM

Not even average this year. Way below, my uncle finished with 25 when he gets usually at least 50+. So wasnt a good year.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:47 PM

as far as numbers ... these are my thoughts .....which shouldnt mean much ... as far as pintail numbers being down ... lmao ... too funny .... there are MANY pintails ... with me being in the ms flyway ...and the majority wintering in the pac. flyway .... i saw so many pinnies this season it was insane .... now granted i saw loads of em in arkansas BUT i did see em here in my area (after season on em was closed ..... by the way 1000's of em were spotted here) .... now mallard numbers... we killed quite a few ... but numbers were WAY down ..... even in arkansas ... and a friend of mine hunted canada with the same thoughts as far as mall numbers ..... the areas we hunted in arkansas we saw more sprig than greenies .... teal numbers looked good .... and the woodie and canada numbers looked to be AWESOME !!! never have seen the numbers ..... as far as the divers .... didnt see the number i thought we would see ... but again LOCATION location location .... but not near the numbers we see during a normal season .... blacks seem down ... gaddies a lil down .... spoons a lil down also .... also the wigeon numbers as far as the WORD goes was up a bit ....we saw quite a few in arkansas and even saw sum in the areas i hunt here at home ...which is strange ....... and as far as snows ....which is gonna come as a shock to yall im sure ..... there are LOTS. .. lol
Old 02-10-2005, 08:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Numbers actually seemed up a bit this year in my area of the state. Still lower then they should be, but up a bit from last year.

Other parts of the state I have no idea about. But in the River Valley, numbers seamed up a bit.

Quick Reply: How were the bird numbers in YOUR area this year?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.