Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 What's Happened to the Ducks? >

What's Happened to the Ducks?

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

What's Happened to the Ducks?

Old 02-06-2005, 10:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default What's Happened to the Ducks?

Guys, I have been hunting in South Louisiana for 24 years. I have 850 acres that on average is well above average for anywhere in the country. There are 4 of us on the lease and we have averaged 200 ducks annual harvest. That is, until last year. Last year there were "NO DUCKS". We made 12-15 hunts and did not see a duck flying. Normally, we see several in the bayous on the way out and fifty to one hundred on the pond when we arrive. There is natural feed there, some kind of tuber or radish that grows on the root system of several of the plants in the pond. When these tubers mature, it's like hunting over corn, they don't leave, just circle until you shoot a limit and leave them alone, then they're back to business eating this stuff up. It lasts two or three weeks mid December to mid January. I know the feed is still there because we can see it. They're not nocturnal feeding because the water is clear as a bell when we get into the pond. The problem is that there are no ducks down here anymore. Plenty on the coast, but not in the marsh 5 miles from the coast. 22 years of excellent duck hunting and then all of a sudden nothing. I have heard that some folks in Arkansas have been circulating large ponds to prevent freezing and feeding heavy on reserve santuaries, but can't find any viable information as to why the ducks are not here any more. I've never seen anything like this before. Never before. Could the flyway have changed? Are duck populations down that low? I don't know. I do know that we are all considering giving up the property after 24 years of hunting the same blinds year after year with really good success that came to a screeching halt last year.
Old 02-07-2005, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What's Happened to the Ducks?

ik in cny i havent killed a duck in 2 seasons and only had a shot at 1 which was like 60 yrds that my freind wounded
Old 02-07-2005, 02:31 PM

WE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM HERE AND FOUND THAT A GROUP OF DUCK FRIENDLY(HUNTER UNFRIENDLIES) WHERE ALMOST CAMPING AT OUR POND ANY DUCK THAT LOOKED LIKE IT WAS COMEING CLOSE WAS CHASED OFF BY THEM YELLING OR TOSSING STUFF IN THE POND. NOTHING WE COULD DO ABOUT IT SEASON WASN'T OPEN YET SO SINCE WE WE WHERE NOT "HUNTING "AT THE TIME IT WAS NOT HERASSMENT. SO I MENCHAND TO THE C/O THAT DISTURBING THE DUCKS IN ANY WAY WAS I FACT HUNTING(BAD MOVE ON MY PART) HE POSTED THE POND AS A BAITED AREA 6 WEEKS BEFORE SEASON .DONE FOR THE YEAR.

HAS ANY NATURAL CHANGES OCCOURED-- HAVE THE POND TRAPED FOR TURTELS AND ANY THING ELSE THAT EATS DUCKS OTHER THAN YOUR BUDDIES
Old 02-07-2005, 03:50 PM

smedley -

can you find out who owns the property where the pond is located or is it gov't land? if private and you can get permission to hunt it you can probably arrange for trespassing charges if the "friendlys" come back.

ant
www.anthonypmaurosr.com
Old 03-04-2005, 10:19 AM

DU,.......that's what happened! JMHO

It's just gonna get worse for us Southern boys!
Old 03-04-2005, 01:04 PM

amen
Old 03-04-2005, 10:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: txmarshmonkey

DU,.......that's what happened! JMHO

It's just gonna get worse for us Southern boys!
i'm lost why would you blame them?
Old 03-05-2005, 11:13 AM

quote: from moose1915

i'm lost why would you blame them?
First, everything that I'm gonna say on this subject is only my opinion. My opinions are based on MY own waterfowling experiences. Like most, I look at a problem and then try to figure out what's causing it. I also know SEVERAL hunters that feel the same way I do. Obviously there are others around with the same feelings.

Problem: In last few years (5-8) there seem to be fewer and fewer ducks migrating through areas where there used to be plenty.

Analysis: Biologist tell us (all waterfowlers) that duck numbers are increasing each year. In response, the bag limits are increased accordingly. Where are the ducks going?? It's not here! When I started duck hunting 16 years ago, there was a 3 duck bag limit, which was not much of a problem filling. The ducks were everywhere! Bag limits and season dates increased gradually over the years and are now maxed out. From what I've been told, the feds are now the limiting factor for Texas. Now the bag limits are up to 6 ducks, with some limitations on certain species. Around here, there are VERY FEW groups of hunters that come back full limits, and a lot of groups that don't fire a shot. Some get lucky, but I haven't heard of anyone doing it consistently.
So what has changed? Not the habitat or climate around here. It's still just as hot and muggy and we have just as many skeeters as before. We haven't lost our wetlands, in fact I believe we've gained wetland acreage.(this is a good thing) Our habitat is still excellent for holding and attracting ducks, but why isn't it working anymore. Look at Louisiana, most of that state is wetland, and I know guys in the southern part that don't even see ducks anymore. It's not calling, decoying, or shooting issues either, there's not as many ducks to shoot at. Why not, the population is higher??? Maybe so, but they're not getting here! WHY? Ducks still fly south every year, or do they?? Maybe they're not flying as far south. That's what I think it is. WHY? What makes a duck keep flying further south? I don't know exactly. Maybe the weather, sources for food, unfrozen habitat, ya got me, probably a combo of many things.
DU, creates more and better habitat, preserves wetlands and helps the waterfowl population in many ways, and that IS a wonderful thing and I applaude them for that. BUT, why aren't the ducks keeping their same migratory patterns. They used to fly the same routes EVERY year, that's where the "flyways" came from. What's gonna happen when there are no ducks flying the flyways? What is DU doing that is causing more ducks not to migrate as far. I don't know for sure, I just know what I see and what my fellow hunters see. My best friend recently had the chance to go hunting up the East Coast in the New England states. He told me that DU is doing great things up there for those hunters. (CHASU, you may have heard correctly.) DU is paying landowners to do all kinds of things to attract ducks. The ducks were everywhere. If I was a duck and I didn't have to fly as far each year, I wouldn't. I am not saying that I think DU should stop doing what they are doing. I think they should keep do what they are doing, but do it everywhere. The only thing that I have personally seen DU do in southeast TX and southwest LA, is try to get money. Until I see some improvements around here, I'll not join again, and there are many with me. When I see DU helping us southern fellas out like y'all up north, I'll be their #1 recruiter. I don't believe that DU was purposely trying to change the flyways or the migratory patterns of ducks, but I do believe that is exactly what is happening! Like I said before, it's only gonna get worse for us down south.
Is Stuttgart, AR still the duck hunting capital?????? I doubt it.
Hopefully DU, has already recognized this problem and hopefully they are already trying to correct it.

Nothing I have just stated is based on any factual evidence that I have personally obtained!!!! PLEASE, if anyone does have factual evidence for either side of the argument, please post it here so that we all may benefit. If someone could find actual harvest numbers per hunter for the last 10 years for each zone in each state, maybe that would show us something.
"More habitat on the ground, means more birds in the air." That's great, but who put up that big wall at the Mason-Dixon? Come on DU, let the ducks migrate naturally.
I'm just a simple minded country boy, so somebody please set me straight!
Old 03-05-2005, 11:41 AM

I live in South Jersey. I'm a hunter, trapper, and fisherman. Our area is loaded with wetland tidal salt marshes. I have noticed that the winter ice up has been a factor in our hunting. I now have learned that when the north gets frozen over the ducks head a little south. We have not had any freeze in November in along time. Normally, early December at best. Duck hunting I think has everything to do with open water and food. Mild winter, yes we have had some cold weather and snow, but the meadow was only frozen for a couple of days. So the ducks don't have to fly as far south.

I had some buddies that went to Stuttgart and got skunked this year. As far as DU, I'd like to see there annual budget. Big money people. Join Delta they were first and in my opinion do more for the waterfowl then DU with less money. They were the first to advertise that trapping is very important to the duck populations. DU didn't they didn't want to offend the antis.

Also, look at how many geese and ducks are killed in the prairies and canada before they can ever get to the members of DU down here in the south. Come on look at the advertising for waterfowl hunts in this region. Compare it to 10 years ago. Look at the trends. Get an old magazine 10 years ago and get one now. Canada hunts, and north plain hunts. I had a buddy go to Canada he showed me some pictures. Goose slaughter. If we shot that many geese with that many men we would still be in jail. Check out Canadas limits. It the information age. It's fun I have DU stickers on my truck a hat that has DU emblem, hell my shotgun was sponsored by DU. They in my opinion are the Wal-mart of Organizations. I don't give them my money anymore. Delta waterfowl all the way. How many Delta sticker you seen lately. They are for real. Not a mass marketing giant.

Till our trails cross,

WW
Old 03-05-2005, 11:45 AM

Look at the post "Guide waterfowl hunts Manitoba, Canada."

Quick Reply: What's Happened to the Ducks?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.