Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Drawing Ducks in

Old 01-24-2005, 06:24 PM

Default Drawing Ducks in

On our land there is a marsh/lake where it is about 6 or 7 acres and clear as can be. The rest of the property is heavy cover. At this spot i could only access maybe one spot becuase it has mud in some places and then land if that makes sense. So my question is how do i start getting ducks into the area i want them to be. Do i put corn out untill next season using a feeder or do i just use decoys and calls next year. thanks for your help
Old 01-25-2005, 07:04 AM

Default RE: Drawing Ducks in

YOU HAVE TO GIVE THE BIRDS A REASON TO WANT TO BE THERE. IF YOU APPLY CORN OR OTHER GRAIN YOU'LL LIKEY NOT BE ABLE TO HUNT IT THE REST OF THE SEASON ASSUMING YOUR'S IS STILL OPEN.I WOULD SUGGEST THAT YOU PLANT A FOOD SOURCE THAT WILL DRAW BIRD WITHOUT CHOKING THE LAKE IN A COUPLE OF YEARS. I USE A SMALL POND HERE, THAT I CAN'T GROW FOOD IN SO I HAVE TO ADD CORN BUT THE TROUBLE WITH THAT IS IF THE C/O CHECKS AND FIND ANY THING AT ALL THAT LOOKS LIKE ADDED FOOD ANY THING DURING THE SEASON,IT'S GAME OVER SO WE STOP 3 WEEKS EARLY AND HOPE THAT ENOUGH LOCAL BURD WILL KEEP SHOWING FLIGHT BIRDS THE WAY HOME ( TRY TO FEED IN SHALLOW WATER 18" OR LESS)
Old 01-25-2005, 09:05 AM

Plant duckweed and wild rice-it will grow and not reseed itself in the north but will do so in the south-it will draw ducks and geese in a year of two
Old 01-28-2005, 03:04 PM

Planted corn is a good option as long as you do not manipulate the crop. Jap millet is a good option and will grow almost anywhere. If the birds are there good calling and good decoy placement according to the wind will usually work.