Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 Some Pretty Crazy Stuff!!!! >

Some Pretty Crazy Stuff!!!!

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Some Pretty Crazy Stuff!!!!

Old 01-11-2005, 08:53 PM

Default RE: Some Pretty Crazy Stuff!!!!

lol, yeah you might want to be careful with that idea.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:25 AM

Those goose sized birds colored like mallards are more than likely Rouens. They are tame ducks that were developed by selectively breeding mallards for larger size. The other odd sized , colored birds are hard to identify without a picture or more description.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:59 PM

hmmm.... would they be legal to shoot? Do they fly around like reg ducks? When i am sitting over my hole if and one comes by, would it be legal to take?

I am going to hunt saturday through monday, and i will drop by where they were hanging out and take a few pictures of all the weird looking ducks. Quite a sight to be had.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:17 AM

I don't know if it is state law but I'm pretty sure around here any tame ducks or geese must have their flight feathers pulled so if the ducks you are seeing fly then I would think you could shoot them if that type of bird is not protected.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:28 AM

well i am heading out tomorrow, my dad talked to a client who gave him good advice on where to try. So i have to go get a new hunting license for this year, and then i will head out
Old 01-15-2005, 05:43 PM

this is a secret dont tell anyone (lol) Take a chainsaw cut chucks out of the ice make sure they are small enough to lift and clear a hole about 10ft wide so there is open water. Im not sure how much ice you are talking but i do this all the time with about 3 in. of ice... The ducks with come in as if they are on a string. Keep your calling to a minimum.
Old 01-15-2005, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I thought about cutting a hole like you said ,but have 2 problems.
The largest hole we are aloud to CUT in Ohio is 12" for ice fishing. ( talked to the DNR about this and about breaking thin ice to place decoys (1" or so ) and they look at any hole cut in ice that is safe to walk is a fishing hole and thin ice is just that thin ice)

The other is with all the snowmobiles out on the ice and people walking out to fish or hunt .
If some one snowmobiled or walked into the hole and drowned or was hurt the person cutting the hole would be liable ,both to get sued and arrested for neglance or homicide.

So IMO cutting a large hole like you say is a REAL BAD IDEA !!!!!
Old 01-16-2005, 09:40 PM

yeah, i don't think there are going to be snowmobiles on 1-3 inches on ice, and if they are, i think that hole in the ice is the least of their problems. You would have to make sure to mark it somehow.