Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 Is this true about barrel length? >

Is this true about barrel length?

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Is this true about barrel length?

Old 01-04-2005, 04:12 PM

Default Is this true about barrel length?

I had a Benelli sales rep tell me that by next year (2006) all shotguns will have 24" barrels. (All manufactures not just Benelli) He says that anything over 24" is costing to much money to manufacture, and with todays technology in chokes, the extra inches in the barrel is a waste.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:55 PM

Default RE: Is this true about barrel length?

That shows what that particular rep knows. While there is really no ballistic advantage with barrels longer than 24", the advantage lies in a longer sight radius, making it seem like you have greater range . Longer barrels generally handle better for swinging through a target .

24" bbls are great for turkey or close quarters upland hunting but for shots requiring leading a flying bird, a longer barrel makes shooting easier.

But bottom line is the public would not accept it and this rep does not have a clue.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:12 PM

I heard the same thing from a Benelli rep and told him exactly what you said whiskeysnoot-he looked at me and then backed up real fast-never retracted what he said but simply changed the subject. I went back to him privately and told him that Benelli made a nice piece but if they realistically thought they were going to change the market he was nuts. He told me that the company story line was that anything over 24" was a waste-I thanked him and told him that I figured I would go into the custom gun barrel business as it looked like I would be very busy. I think Benelli is trolling for fish in their 24" line.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ask the Benelli rep. if he ever had a short barreled shot gun go off in the blind with him . The extra few inchs seam to make a big differance in the noise .
Also I agree with Wiskeysnoot the 24" barrels are poor for swinging smoothly .
A freind HAD a SBE with a 24" barrel ,it lasted less than 1/2 a season beforehe sold it.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:19 PM
Fork Horn

That's pretty funny considering that the trend is towards longer barrels. Mostly with clay shooters and O/U's. It's trickeling down to hunting semi's as well but, at a much slower rate.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:33 PM

I agree with the Bennelli rep, I think with the choke tube technology out there that the only benefit of a longer barrel is the weight (and maybe the noise factor that johnch mentioned) it gives you when swinging through a shot. Make the 24" barrell a little heavier by making it thicker and there you go.

I think a lot of people think longer barrels work better because that's what our fathers taught us. Reason for that is the longer barrels had full chokes on them, obviously better for longer shots. Now we have interchangeable choke systems so as far as shot distance or accuracy the barrel length has nothing to do with it.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have always felt that a longer barrel was smotther asnd more fluid when shooting. I owned an Remington 870 with 21" barrel and it patterned well, but when in the field it never performes as well as my 26" benelli tube. I also shot horrible with that gun on any kinda clays, but am normally "pretty good" at trap, skeet and sporting clays. I think it woulb piss a lot of people off if they stopped offering up to 28" lengths.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

id still love to find a 30 inch barreled gun
Old 01-09-2005, 09:31 PM
Typical Buck

Beretta extrema has a 30 inch.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:41 PM

I'm suprised no one jumped on my case (Or agreed for that matter). I really think the only benefit of a longer barrel these days is the weight. If you've ever shot clays (or fowl) with a double barrel or o/u it seems a lot easier because of the extra weight.

I think a 21" barrel with weight added would shoot just as well as a 30" barrel. Just change the choke tube and you're set to go.

Quick Reply: Is this true about barrel length?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.