Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

shell question

Old 12-30-2004, 12:29 AM

Default shell question

What would be my best shot for ducks and geese? Limit 40-50 yards, most likely less. What kind? Hevi shot, tungsten, or whatever all the other types are??? Price is not an issue. Would you say something like hevi shot 4? Thanks!

Idaho
Old 12-30-2004, 01:20 AM

Default RE: shell question

If price is not an issue, your idea of Hevi-Shot #4 would be very hard to argue with.
Old 12-30-2004, 07:15 AM
Typical Buck

Idaho, If you must use just one load for the situation you describe, the 2 3/4 #4's with modified choke in Heavy Shot, Bismuth or Matrix would be ok. You'll find that the geese are hammered dead as a stone at 40-50 yards, however, many of the ducks you shoot will take some time to die and will bleed heavily. This is because the pattern is not optimal but shockiing power is more than adequate for ducks at that range. You will be striking the ducks with a pellet or two, but not the 3 or 4 a #6 would hit with. Unfortunately, the #6's will kill the geese beautifully, but only to 30-35 yards.

Heavy Shot kills just as well as Bismuth or Matirx, but if you eat what you kill, there's a hugh difference when you bite on a pellet. Do this, take a pellet of each of these three substances and place them on steel; I do it on my shop vice. Tap the pellets firmly with a hammer. You'll find the Heavy shot doesn't even dent where the other two crush easily. A whole lot less dentist bills for cracked teeth.

Good shooting.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would have 2 loads .Ducks I would use 3" 1 1/4 oz load of 4 and geese I would use 3" 1 3/8 oz load of 2
Old 12-30-2004, 04:16 PM

how do i use 2 loads? Do i wait to see something, before loading the gun?? i don't understand how i could have more. Thanks for the help so far!
Old 12-30-2004, 08:50 PM

Man i had some guys from Florida hunting with me last week and they shot Kent Faststeel 3" #2's out of Benelli super Black eagles with a light full Briley choke tube. Man they could reach out and touch them. I'm talking 50 yard shots they even water whacked one out about 65 yards and whacked him dead.
Anthony
Cajun Hunting and Fishing Adventures
Louisiana Hunting at it's Finest
Old 12-30-2004, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I load what I expect to see .
In my area the ducks fly early and the geese usely wait till the suns up .
We can usaly here the geese a long way out.
When geese come in and I have duck loads in it only takes a few seconds to replace the shell in the chamber and the second shot shell.
Just rack the gun put a goose load in the mag. rack again ,put second goose load in the mag .
After I shoot the geese I pick up the 2 shells off the blind floor.
With a little practice I don't have to look ,goose loads in left pocket and duck in right .
Old 12-30-2004, 10:04 PM

at those ranges ya can kill birds with #2 .... 3" mag steel .... just have to lead em a bit .... i dont shoot at that range most of the time as it is iffy ..... but will kill em stone dead .... only way ill shoot a bird at that range is if the bird or birds have been hit alreayd and are gettin out of dodge .... HATE to see birds fly out after being hit !!!
Old 12-31-2004, 08:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Any good heavy fast waterfowl load is adequate, try to keep the birds in closer, I use everything from BBB to #2 for geese and #1 to #4 for ducks.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:57 PM
Fork Horn

#3's work pretty well in my opinion.....been using Kent Fasteel lately...seems to work really well.

Quick Reply: shell question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.