Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Is this enough gun?

Old 12-29-2004, 02:18 PM

Default Is this enough gun?

I have a Model 12 / 12 guage which shoots only 2 3/4in shells only. I
would assume that this is enough fire power from 40 yds or is it? I do
not have a magnum weapon.

Thanks
Old 12-29-2004, 03:17 PM

Default RE: Is this enough gun?

that should be good, at 40 yards you might want to shoot bigger shot. my buddy shoots a 2 3/4 and mainly uses 2 shot.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:26 PM
Typical Buck

You might want to check with the maker if steel shot can be used in your gun. If not Bismuth 2 3/4 will work very well. I reload 2 3/4 Hevi-shot for my Beretta and it does a good job on ducks and geese.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Hevi shot loads in 2 3/4" shells realy are LOTS better than any steel load !
Old 12-29-2004, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

my dad uses hevi shot 4 in his 2-3/4 inch model 50, but he likes to let em get about 30 -35yds away, and he drops em no prob!
Old 12-29-2004, 09:42 PM

You might consider using a full choke with 2 3/4 shells at 40 yrds

Try to find high velocity shells.
Old 12-30-2004, 07:44 AM
Typical Buck

Greenrooster,

I have shot a Model 12 in 12 guage for 33 years and have an uncle who has shot a model 12 for 50. If your's is one of these older guns, you'll find the steel is extraordinary in its tolerance of the elements. You'll also find the modified chokes in these older Model 12's produce tighter patterns than modern modifieds. A few points:

Do not use steel or Heavy shot in your gun. I used Heavy shot a dozen or so times before I realized how hard it was. While I don't think I did any damage, I did notice more kick than normal which may have been caused by the shot constriction as it left the barrel. You should use Matrix, Bismuth or lead only. The choice of Matrix or Bismuth is a toss up on performance. However, some of the Bismuth shells are manufactured outside of the US and have hulls that are slightly longer (1/4 in.) than a normal 2 3/4 hull and hang up upon ejection. We ran into some of these a couple of years ago hunting in Canada. They came from Cabelas. You want the Bismuth shells made by Winchester only.

We have found Matrix the easiest to find, sometimes cheaper than Bismuth, and either of these kill like lead. While ballistically not quite up to lead, the uniformity of the pellets allow a few more pellets to be loaded in a shell and slighly more consistent patterns making them as close to lead as you can get.

We use #4 on geese to 50 yds, and #5's on ducks to 50. In October we had a classic mallard shoot in a Saskatchewan wheat stubble field. My uncle, age 70 and I, age 47 with our model 12's, and my father, age 72 with his Browning A5, all guns of an era. Using Matrix 5's, we killed 22 mallards and pintails in 30 minutes. When we collected our birds, 20 were stone dead, 2 required manual dispatch. I challenge anyone to accomplish that in steel.

You have one of the finest waterfowl guns ever made (no bias here). Wipe it with an oil rag every day and store it in a gun cabinet. It will outlive you, your son, and your grandson if you do.

Remember, life is not about having what we want, but wanting what we have. Take care of it and you'll never need another. Good shooting.