Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Tan mallard

Old 12-29-2004, 12:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default Tan mallard

I was jump shooting ducks today and I shot a Tan colored Mallard with white tips on it's wings. I don't think it's and albino b/c it doesn't have pink eyes. It was in with all normal colored drake and hen mallards so I'm pretty sure it's not a cross between a tame duck and a mallard. I was wondering if anyone else has ever seen such a duck or has shot one. I am planning on having it mounted b/c I'm pretty sure it's quite unusual.
Old 12-29-2004, 01:47 PM

Default RE: Tan mallard

Are you sure it's not a Gadwall?
Old 12-29-2004, 02:20 PM

any pics?..cuz it kinda does sound like u might have shot a galdwall
Old 12-29-2004, 04:44 PM

yeah sounds like a gaddy to me too
Old 12-29-2004, 05:33 PM
Typical Buck

The "LeMaster Method" waterfowl identification book will show what it is and the sex.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:25 PM
Fork Horn

Well fellas thanks for the input so far. I did some research on the i-net and my duck is definitely not a Gadwall. I did find an article that talked about what sounded like the same kind of duck though, the article said the duck was luecistic or something like that?? Anyone know anything about this? I'm tryin to get my buddy to help me put up the pics.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:38 PM

When you say mallard do you mean greenhead or hen?

Come on with those pics already
Old 12-30-2004, 08:28 AM

I would just about bet that you have a hybrid. Amallard will cross with about any duck it can run down and rape. It may a tame duck of about any breed crossed with a mallard. These are quite common among flocks that have free flying mallards around them. It is highly unusual though for them to leave the safe secure of a barnyard flock and join a wild flock. It does happen though. If I had a digital camera I could take a picture of one like that. It has been here at my place for 2 yrs now.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:53 PM

i saw a light colored hen mallard a season ago hear .... was blonde in color ..... if ya killed one would be a good bird to mount .... then add a banded drake when ya kill one ..... in flight would be my choice
Old 12-31-2004, 08:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

We see a few whitish mallards around, they look like crosses between mallards and white tamies.

Quick Reply: Tan mallard

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.