Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

locking up

Old 12-17-2004, 10:40 AM

Default locking up

went to a shallow backwater area to kill sum blacks and mallards and to our surprise it was all but frozen .... spent 1/2 an hour or so breakin ice before shootin time .... to kill only 2 mallards (buddy missed a bird and had his gun jam) .... we had been in there yesterday and watched at least 40 or so birds drop into the same area .... just couldnt hunt it as we thought we would be able to wade it .... didnt work out ....was way too deep .... then like i said it was froze up today .... but the level had dropped and we were able to get to where we wanted to be the day before ..... the ice KILLED us .... but .... that type of stuff happens .... didnt see any pintails today but saw 1 yesterday .... not sure if it was the same one we had seen wed. or not .... if everything works out alright we will kill a few in the monrin ............... good luck this weekend to yall .... shoot one for me
Old 12-17-2004, 04:24 PM

Default RE: locking up

I wish it was good luck for me this weekend. But its all over for me til next year. Finished off low this year. About 35 ducks.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm goin in the morning. I'll get back with ya on the results.

Note: Does your buddy shoot a pump? If he doesn't...he should...I've never had my pump jam on me...

Auto's jam all the dang time.
Old 12-17-2004, 05:50 PM

cool deal i wish ya luck ....as far as the gun it was a brand new benelli auto.... he had shot it only 4 times before ...... im gonna tease him bout that forever ... lol ..... and as far as all autos jammin all the time ... i have had mine jam only once since i bought it which was years ago .... and if ya would see how i treat that gun ya would feel sorry for it .... lol
Old 12-17-2004, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

i was told you had to put like 60 3" mags thru the bennelis before shooting other ammo thru them.....any truth to this?
Old 12-17-2004, 09:28 PM

not sure man ... i have never owned one .... but the guy i was talkin bout earlier has been shootin 3"
Old 12-18-2004, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here in NW Ohio we will be fully locked up by monday except for lake erie ,the big rivers and bays. Lots of ducks on the bay that were pushed out of the marsh's by ice. Now all I need is a boat and time to get them.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have also heard that the SBE requires 50 - 100 rounds of heavy mag loads first off.
Old 12-18-2004, 10:43 PM

we have till jan 30th here in maryland. been hunting the marshes doing well so far