Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 New duck hunter, what to expect???? >

New duck hunter, what to expect????

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

New duck hunter, what to expect????

Old 12-14-2004, 07:51 AM

Default New duck hunter, what to expect????

I'm trying duck hunting for the second time this Saturday. I have duck hunted one other time in the early season. We saw a few ducks that time, but no shots. Those were all wood ducks and mallards. This saturday, I am going to hunt on the scioto river close waverly, Ohio.

What species can I expect to see? What are the rules on hunting a big river. I would expect that it's not like fishing where I could put a boat in anywhere and hunt anywhere on the river??

Any general info you could pass along would be great.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:06 AM

Default RE: New duck hunter, what to expect????

not sure bout ohio ... but in indiana ... ya can hunt either the indiana or kentucky side (mainstem of the river) ... ya can hunt anywhere outside of refuges, city limits, etc .... as long as you are IN the boat while huntin .... as far as species ... not sure where ya at exactly .... but with this weather lately could be pretty much anything .... thats why this duck huntin is so fun but as far as what i have seen so far this season ..... mallard, gw teal, wood duck, black duck, and pintail ....also saw a couple divers but couldnt ID cuzz of the low light
Old 12-14-2004, 12:20 PM

Thanks for the info.

Does anyone else have anything to add?

I could use all the help I could get.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

You couls see any variety of duck, as far as for hunting the river find something unusual such as a large feeder stream dumping into it, a latge wide area or bay, and so on, the ducks will fly up and down the river just keep watch for them.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:19 PM
Typical Buck

We only have small rivers here, so no experience in hunting large rivers. But, do hunt small rivers a lot. I'd try to get there early for some scouting, set up where you see the birds.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:47 PM

what i do here on the ohio river is try to find a field where they are feeding .... shallow areas for the dabblers .... or areas that hold mussle beds for divers ..... or near a refuge of sum sort .... but this time of year ya will see flights of birds headin down river .... sumtimes it takes alot of dekes to pull em tho ... unless ya where they wanna be .... good luck
Old 12-15-2004, 02:42 PM

How about a big bend in the river? Where do you put the decoys? Above the bend, or below it? On the outside edge or on the inside edge? In the current or in the slack water?
Old 12-15-2004, 03:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would set my decoys in the most visible part of the slack water wherever that may occur in the bend. And set the decoys in a way that will force the birds to work in front of you, I really cant say more without knowing the size of the river and/or seeing for myself.
Old 12-15-2004, 05:03 PM

well that all would depend .... sum bends birds will cut over em rather than round em .... but if ya see birds roundin the bends .... those are the best ones for diver/puddler set-ups .... i would run a line of divers right out off the bend ....then set the puddlers in the slackwater ..... could even throw in sum goose dekes at the up wind side of ya puddler spread ... kinda hard to explain ... hope ya get an idea ..... but really there are no set ways in settin dekes ... just have to start tryin diff things and go from there .... and when ya think ya have gotten the settin of dekes down to a science .... the birds show ya different but above all things ...if ya have ya dekes out and the birds arent finishin right ... dont be afraid of movin the dekes around (but first take a look around to see if it isnt sumthin exposed they are seein ya or if sumbody in the blind is movin when birds are comin in)
Old 12-15-2004, 08:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good tips wolf...it is hard to say thogh, how wide is the river you are gonna be hunting, what is the terrain along the banks?, how deep, and so on....??????

Quick Reply: New duck hunter, what to expect????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.