Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Hybrid duck?

Old 11-13-2004, 12:42 AM

Default Hybrid duck?

Watched Gander Mntn. Outdoors tonite on OLN tv. These three dudes were duck hunting, and killed what they said appeared to be a cross of a mallard and a black duck. Body was colored like a black, and the wings and head of a drake mallard. Real odd looking.
Any of you guys see something like this?
Old 11-13-2004, 09:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hybrid duck?

While I was working in Iowa this summer, I was at the city park and happened upon aduck drake that looked like a pintail with mallrd coloration it was awesome, Ducks unlimeted had a article about hybrids here a while ago and they sound to be fairly common.
Old 11-14-2004, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

That happens a lot in Ontario and other places I guess, blacks cross-breeding with mallards. We have a reduced bag limit on blacks because they're getting rarer around here. My dad hasn't shot a true black in a long time.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:35 AM

I've never seen one but have seen pictures of them in DU magazines. They shoot a Mallard/Pintail cross in one of the Duckmen videos too.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:48 AM

Yes, a buddy of mine killed one last year. I was about to wring it's neck because I thought it was a mallard hen until I saw a tinge of green on it's head and noticed how big it was. Taxidermist did an awesome mount on it and gave my buddy names of three other customers that would buy it if he didn't want it.
Old 11-15-2004, 01:39 PM

we shoot quite a few mallard/black hybrids here ..... not very uncommon for this area for sum reason .... as far as sellin the mount ... better check into the regs .... im pretty sure its illegal to sell waterfowl .... also ....which duckcommander video is the one ya talkin bout ??? id like to see that sprig/mall hybrid
Old 11-16-2004, 07:44 AM

The hybrids are rare here and pure blacks are practically unheard of. As far as selling the mount, what was meant was that they would pay for the taxidermist service only. Just like someone paying for professional processing. Paying for a service is fine but you had better have a receipt and not accept a dime more.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:18 AM

i kinda figured as much ... but just wanted to give ya a heads up in case ya didnt know ...which the law makes no sense to me ... i mean i can mount a bird in no time at all and it may cost only $30 in materials (if that) then charge $200 for it ..... so the person is REALLY payin for the bird ... but thats how the gov is ...all screwed up ..... lol ..... where ya from snoot ??? if ya dont mind me askin .... just curious
Old 11-17-2004, 12:26 PM

canis_lupus:

Northeast Oklahoma. Don't tell anyone, I try and keep a low profile.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:46 AM

snoot what kinda birds ya kill there .... and what type of canadas if any?

Quick Reply: Hybrid duck?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.