Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 HELP ME FIGURE IF ITS A BLACK/MOTTLED DUCK? >

HELP ME FIGURE IF ITS A BLACK/MOTTLED DUCK?

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

HELP ME FIGURE IF ITS A BLACK/MOTTLED DUCK?

Old 10-31-2004, 06:25 PM

Default HELP ME FIGURE IF ITS A BLACK/MOTTLED DUCK?

This duck was taken on Sept 29,2004 on the 4 day opener in North Carolina my buddie shot it out of a flock of mallards and we didnt really notice it was a Black or Mottled duck until we got home so any help would be useful. we dont get this much around here and its hard to tell a black and a mottled apart
Old 11-01-2004, 11:37 AM

Default RE: HELP ME FIGURE IF ITS A BLACK/MOTTLED DUCK?

Looks like a black being as dark as it is. Mottled ducks are usually a bit lighter and look more like a hen mallard.
Old 11-01-2004, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like a black to me
Old 11-01-2004, 04:10 PM

According to the LeMaster Method ID Book, the wing markings are the most positive identification. From what it says it looks more like a mottled duck because of the white tips on the wing markings.
Old 11-02-2004, 06:02 AM

See if this helps you out. It was shot by my son at the end of last season. True extreme southern Florida Mottled.

Hope it helps.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Looks like a Black to me....
Old 11-02-2004, 04:23 PM
Typical Buck

Whiskey is correct. It cannot be a black duck due to the white below the blue on the wing. Black Ducks have a black on top and below the wing's blue. Mallards have white on top and below the blue. From what I can see from the photo it is a Mottled Duck, all I see is white below the blue. If it has a dark ridge on the bill it is a female Mottled Duck.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:32 PM
Fork Horn

I also agree that it is a mottled. A true black will have black bars above and below the blue. Nice duck anyway.
Old 11-06-2004, 02:04 PM

bird in the top pic is a black duck ... other is a mottled ...great birds guys !!! congrats
Old 11-06-2004, 02:08 PM

im 100% sure of that .... and by the way ... alot of blacks will show hints of white on the speculum ... and the color isnt blue .... its purple .... i kill blacks every season here ...too bad they wont up the limit .... we will limit on our 1 black per gun and have em swimmin in the decoys .... pretty birds tho .... i have never killed a mottled ... but i have a couple in the freezer to mount .... they are awesome birds too ...as sumbody said earlier ...the mottleds are alot lighter .... more like a tan color highlighted with larger amounts of black ...and the blacks being the opposite .... also the bill color on the mottled is a dead give away .... now just point me in the direction of the nearest wigeon/sprig hole and ill be happy .... lol ....good luck yall ....be safe .... keep ya eyes skyward .... let em drop their feet and TAKE EM

Quick Reply: HELP ME FIGURE IF ITS A BLACK/MOTTLED DUCK?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.