Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

dogless hunting

Old 10-12-2004, 10:12 AM

Default dogless hunting

I'm just getting started waterfowling, and am wondering about the relative ease/difficulty of hunting without a dog. Are there any special techniques? Limitations on where you can hunt, etc?
Old 10-12-2004, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: dogless hunting

I have never hunted with a dog and have put the following restrictions on myself:

- NEVER EVER EVER try to shoot a double. When you hit a bird watch it all the way to the water/ground, then don't take your eyes off of it until you are 100% sure it is dead. If it isn't, shoot it again.

as for places to not hunt, I try to restrict my setup to where I can try and control where the ducks will land when shot, I try not to shoot them out over swamp grass or lots of weeds, or any other place that will make them hard to find. If they do get into such a place, get on them right away.

--Bob
Old 10-12-2004, 12:44 PM

Watch the heavy weeds as ducks can hide in on a putting green.

I always hunt over water and if not wadable, I carry a fishing pole with me. A large spoon is easy to catch the dead ducks with. I also caught two bass and a pickerel last Saturday trying to retrieve two wood ducks. Funny as heck.

Greg
Old 10-12-2004, 02:22 PM

I'm having trouble picturing exactly what you are doing with the fishing pole (and the large spoon?). I've heard of using a fishing pole before, but ....what is on the end of the line?
Old 10-12-2004, 08:33 PM

I take it you are not an angler or you would know that the spoon Gryan is talking about is a fishing lure. Fairly heavy with either one big hook or a treble hook on it. He's using it to cast past a dead duck and snag it for the retrieve. I myself have used a big topwater like a Zara Spook for the same thing. On ice that I don't want to send my dog on I will use a huge treble hook.

Hunting w/o a dog is easiest on small water like ponds because even if water is too deep to wade to you can either use the method described above or let them drift to the bank.

Also, hold your shots until they are close as possible to ensure dropping them dead or at least having them close enough to finish them off.
Old 10-13-2004, 05:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Fishin pole, canoe, waders, belly boat, any of these work to retrieve downned birs as my group does not have a dog and never have yet. We do alright when we get the birds to cooperate with us. Also have used long sticks.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:01 PM

i love hunting with a dog because u have some company when hunting is slow
Old 10-20-2004, 04:45 PM
Spike

hey cwackers,
I agree with Bob H to some extent. My buddy has a GSP, but he used to squirt it with a water bottle when it was a pup to keep it from jumping on the couch, chewing things, etc., and now it hates water! So we're left to fend with the two-legged variety: One another!

Like Bob said, follow that bird down and make sure it is stone cold dead before you contemplate a double or following shot on other birds. A double's great for bragging rights but if you only retrieve one bird, what's the point?

Mark your bird based on the landmarks around where it hits the tules/brush/grass. Even if it's a tree branch or the tallest tule, if you see the bird hit it on the way in, you've got your mark. Now play OJ and high step that pond or stream, doing your best to NOT take your eye off the mark. Consider the angle at which the bird was travelling when it hit the tule/branch/brush, pace off a couple steps, and begin your search. Keep in mind that if you simply winged your bird, you'll want to keep an eye aslant for it swimming!

I've hit 3 green heads coming dead at me with one shot. The lead bird landed at my feet, the other two just 10-15' over each shoulder. I lost them both in a 7' tall tule patch not 80' square. I had witnesses! But without a dog...

Good luck, shoot straight, hunt hard.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:05 AM
Typical Buck

shoot them again before they hit the water if you remotely think they're crippled. dead ducks are much easier to find. a crippled duck can dive, swim, hide, etc