Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Favorite duck call

Old 10-03-2004, 06:36 PM

Default Favorite duck call

Hey guys, new to the board! I am looking for a new call this year with a price range of about $50. Not sure on what to get. WHat is the difference between single and double reed? ANy info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 10-04-2004, 07:53 AM

Default RE: Favorite duck call

Pretty much all the mass-produced calls will call ducks in, if you can call. It' s more about cadence, and knowing which call and when to make it, and knowing when not to call at all. If you're new to calling ducks, get a couple of different, inexpensive, calls and a training CD or two, then practice, practice, practice. When I was learning to call, a friend told me that if my stomach muscles didn't get sore I wasn't practicing enough. The more you call, you'll find out what you like about each call and be able to judge for yourself what you want in a call when you buy something more expensive. I really like Rich-N-Tone's cocobola double reed (about $120)
Old 10-04-2004, 08:01 AM
Fork Horn

I have 4 calls a Wooden faulks, Rich n tone, Duck commander teal call, and a duck commander commander in chief. Out of the calls. All but the commander in chief were cheap and the ducks come into the RNT and Commander in chief the same the only difference was the Rich n tone was on sale at wal-mart two years ago with a calling tape for 8 bucks and the commander in chief was 99.99. Get a Rich n tone It sounds great at a good price. I'am not sure the model type but if a cheap Rich and tone works better than a $100 call then there medium price call should work great
Old 10-04-2004, 11:27 AM
Fork Horn

Well, what are you blowing right now? I found that I've ended up with several Haydel's, a couple of RNT's, a couple of Southern Game Calls (Greg Hood) duck calls, and several other custom calls from my father-in-law and several custom call shops...Honestly I hunt with a Haydel's, SGC Little Joel, and two custom calls, the most. But, if you don't have a single reed yet you need to get one, and really learn to blow it, practice every day, tape record yourself if you can...For this I guess I'd say check any one of the mass produced single reed poly calls, I'm partial to the Little Joel, but the RNT's are pretty good too...You'll end up trying a lot before you find your perfect call, then you'll try some more to see if they're any better
Old 10-04-2004, 11:36 AM
Fork Horn

Ooops, Double vs. Single Reed...mostly preference, the double reeds are easier for beginners to blow, single reeds generally offer more range, but there are exceptions to this...
Old 10-04-2004, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a Suzy Q 2, about $30 canadian
Old 10-04-2004, 09:25 PM
Fork Horn

Given what you've got, try out a Southern Game Calls "Little Joel" Poly call, they run about $30 U.S. not sure what that is with the exchange rate, but it should be close to $50 or so, I like that little call, it can be loud though, but the single reed will help your calling (although it's harder at first for many)...just keep practicing.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

My favorite call is a wood call, very deep and raspy single reed, but have no idea what make it is, As far as getting one for yourself go to a big shop where you can try out calls and find one that sounds good to you.
Old 10-23-2004, 12:03 PM

My favorite duck call is a rnt original acrylic. but if you dont have a lot of money look at a primos yo sista'. double reeds are alot quiter and you can do alot more with a single reed if you can blow it. a rnt original acrylic runs at about 130 dollars. if your wanting to do contest calling look at a rich-n-tone mvp
Old 10-23-2004, 07:07 PM
Spike

single reed the h.s. waterfowl bill collector for double reed the primos original wench
few budies told me and they do work and only 20 bucks a pop so buy both and stay under 50 bucks !! on line at bass pro shops !!

Quick Reply: Favorite duck call

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.