Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 Looking to buy new duck/geese gun(auto 3 1/2") >

Looking to buy new duck/geese gun(auto 3 1/2")

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Looking to buy new duck/geese gun(auto 3 1/2")

Old 09-16-2004, 11:15 AM

Default Looking to buy new duck/geese gun(auto 3 1/2")

I want an autoloader chambered for 3 1/2". Any suggestions? I looked at a Beretta Extrema but did not like the erganomics ($799.00). I looked at a Browning gold sporter and really liked it but it is only chambered for 3"(but the gun is $500.00 on sale). I am a little sceptical about the Mossberg 935. I can pick one of those up for under $400.00. I am really sceptical about the Charles Daly 3 1/2"($300.00 and made in China!) Any Suggestions?
Old 09-16-2004, 05:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Looking to buy new duck/geese gun(auto 3 1/2")

You probably hear a lot of this but the only auto that I think is worth while in 3.5" is the SBE Benelli. Good luck with shopping and most importantly is buy which one feels the best to you.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:46 PM
Typical Buck

www.franchiusa.com

Check out the 912. Made by benelli. Worth a look..love mine

J
Old 09-16-2004, 08:03 PM

After using a Benelli SBE hard for over four years, if something happened to it I would go buy another one tomorrow. IMO if you can stand the price tag, it's the one to have.

If not, check the Browning Gold Hunter and Win. Super X. Same gun, different name. I personally don't care for them due to handling. They are bulkier than I care for but this is a personal preference.

Listen to your skeptical conscience and steer clear of Charles Daly and Mossberg.
Old 09-17-2004, 01:38 AM

I LOVE MY BENELLI SUPER BLACK EAGLE, I TOO WOULD RUN OUT AND GET ANOTHER IF SOMETHING HAPPENED TO MINE; IF YOU ARE NOT WANTING TO SPEND THAT MUCH CHECK OUT THE BAKAIL 3 1/2; THEY SELL FOR ABOUT $450
Old 09-17-2004, 12:54 PM

I have no personal experience with it, but I've heard some great reviews for the EAA Baikal MP153. It shoots 3.5" and will cost you less than $400.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:52 PM

No offense to anyone but a few people around here [s.e. wash.] have had bad luck with Benellis. Parts breakage and difficulty getting guns repaired under warranty. I've been shooting a Win. Super X2 3 1/2" for a little while now and LOVE it! Back-bored barrel with Browning Invector plus choke tubes. It was designed by the same guy who designed the Browning Gold. The Super X2 is a simplified version. Of course with a shotgun, FIT is about 90% of the battle. Good luck!
Old 09-18-2004, 03:21 AM

In my opinion there are only three guns in the same 3 1/2" ballpark worth looking seriously at. My choice was the Beretta, it fits me well, it don't fit you so that's done. The Benelli is a great gun, in years past there were some troubles with cycling in very cold weather but I have not heard that complaint recently, tough as a bag of hammers. The third is the Winchester SuperX2, unlike it's Browning parent it was designed as a 3.5" gun from the get go and did not have the same growing pains. It does lack the magazine cut-off feature of the Browning but if you haven't gotten used to having one you won't miss it. I am rather impressed with the dura-touch stocks, seems like it would be an advantage in cold, wet weather.

As mentioned before, get the gun that fits you best. I have particularly long arms, the Beretta worked out best in that regard for me and would not trade it for the world. A friend has a different build and a Benelli SBE, he wouldn't tolerate using a Beretta for a canoe paddle let alone shooting one after using his SBE. Another friend with a Winchester makes consistent deragetory pizza remarks about the Italian guns as he unlimbers his American Auto. Avoid bargain shopping long chambered autos if at all possible, the big 12 is tough on posers.
Old 09-19-2004, 06:52 AM

I am also new to goose hunting it does seem like i need a little more nockdown than my winchester 1300 its chembered for 3 inch i guess i need a little more gun than my old pal well i guess i can never have to many shot guns or to much huntin stuff it just takes me forever to pick one i like i hate havin one just lay around and not get used
Old 09-19-2004, 09:54 AM

Guess it depends on what you want to spend. Love my Franchi 912. Almost the same gun as the Benelli and hundreds cheaper. I don't see the point with spending the extra money on a Benelli, when you can get a Franchi 912 that will do you the same job. Never had a single problem with reliablity. PERFECT! The camo is coming off. Don't really care. It is a duck gun not a dinner gun.
Everyone has his favorite. I have only heard good things about the Mossberg 935. You can't shoot 2 3/4 from it. But I only shoot larger shells anyways. You can't go wrong with a Browning. Sounds like a great price. If you can shoot well, you probably don't need the 3 1/2.
Good luck.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy new duck/geese gun(auto 3 1/2")

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.