Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 Looking to buy new duck/geese gun(auto 3 1/2") >

Looking to buy new duck/geese gun(auto 3 1/2")

Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Looking to buy new duck/geese gun(auto 3 1/2")

Old 09-19-2004, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Looking to buy new duck/geese gun(auto 3 1/2")

Consider what you are going to spend extra for a 3.5 verse a 3" gun and buy some Hevi shot with the differance . My Hevi shot 3" reload will probely kill geese cleaner at longer range than any 3.5" steel load
Old 09-19-2004, 05:36 PM

We took 2 SP-10, 2 SBE ,2 rem 1187 and 2 win supper x to Sac a few years ago, we had 6 of the best waterfowling days I've ever seen. the only guns we diddn't have to repair or could not keep using were the Rem and the Win. We took well over 600 birds that week.
Old 09-20-2004, 12:14 PM
Spike

Do you have a 10 ga.? If you do then you don't have to spend the extra money for a 3 ½”. If you don’t have a 10 ga. then you should buy yourself a 3 ½” gun. Just bought a SBE II for $1280 with the extended magazine. Thought about the 3 ½” gold hunter but decided to spend a couple hundred more and buy the benelli with half of the moving parts. LOVE IT!!!

P.S. Got a friend that has a SBE and hasn't cleaned the gun in four years just to see how long it will take for it to jam. Hasn't had a problem yet. It's the only shotgun he owns and uses it for everything. One of the biggest waterfowl hunters that I know. (after me of course)
Old 09-21-2004, 11:21 AM
Fork Horn

I will only recommend five 3 1/2" models. Benelli SBE, Beretta Xtrema, Browning Gold, Franchi 912 and the Winchester SX2. I like the Browning the best. The Gold and SX2 do share some parts and feel similar. The Gold has a magazine cutoff and the speed load feature that the SX2 does not. The SX2 has a higher rib. The Gold is a little lighter and costs around $100.00 more. The Xtrema and 912 are very similar feeling as both are "big" guns. Both are very easy to maintain. The Xtrema has a bolt lock lever that the 912 does not. The Xtrema sells for around $200.00 more. The 912 is made by Franchi, owned by Beretta, and imported by Benelli (Also owned by Beretta). The SBE is the only non gas operated of the bunch. Its very easy to maintain and is the lightest of the bunch. They also have more recoil and cost more than any of the others. They tend to have more problems cycling the lighter loads. Lighter loads should be used in 3" chamber guns anyways.
None are really any better than the other. They just have different attributes which the buyer needs to prioritize.
Old 09-28-2004, 07:05 AM

If you like the feel of the 1187, give serious thought to the Baikal MP-153. It is a serious 3.5" workhorse. I have a Baikal and an SX2. The Winchester isn't as barrel heavy as the Baikal but the Baikal shoots softer and doesn't have the recoil spring in the butt of the gun to get rusty/dirty. Neither one has ever let me down. Very few duck hunters that use either one has anything bad to say about their function or reliability.

Sean
Old 09-29-2004, 02:18 AM

All the guns listed above are great guns..I personally shot the S2X. After trying out several shotguns it is the one I picked for me. I just couldnt see spending the extra cash on a Benelli or a Gold, when I could get a gun that functioned just as well cheaper. I know the S2X doesnt have some of the fancy features of the others, but I didnt find any of the extra features as that big of a deal for what they charge, some do. Kinda like comparing a stick shift to an automatic..
The thing that surprises me is that just recently, during speed shotguning, they have found that the Gold and the S2X are faster autos then the Benelli. They have come a long ways over the last few years. I know this really doesnt mean much in the real world of hunting, but it just shows that great guns dont have to cost a fortune....
Old 10-17-2004, 05:03 AM
Spike

just to add somthing to this what barrel length for waterfowling in the 3.5 " guns 26" or 28"? i have pretty much diecided on a 935 for the money and it just comes up to plane so nice on me it feels like it was fitted to me !

i have seen alot of 26 to 30 " bbled guns duck and or goose hunting mainly in 10 ga i'm guessing that the 26" bbl is to save some weight but do you lose alot of range going to the 26" bbl?
Old 10-21-2004, 08:15 PM

without a doubt the best waterfowl gun you can buy is a benelli super black eagle. me and my dad both have one and tthey have never let us down i like the 24 inch barrel because its alot easier to swing around and get on the birds quicker. If you dont have the money another good gun is a franchi varomax 3.5. my uncles got one and it rocks hope you find a gun
Old 10-24-2004, 06:49 PM

ok. i wouldn't personnly get a auto loader but i guess thats ur way. if u are looking for a good waterfowl gun go with a benelli nova pump thats a good gun, i love mine to death i wouldn't ever sell it.
Old 10-25-2004, 09:17 AM

I bought the super X 2 and had a few minor parts breakages so switched to a extrema but the extrema didn't fit that great so I now have a browning gold 3 1/2" that I think is about as good as your going to get. I have a couple family members who decided to save a few bucks and bought 935's and they are both haveing problems with the guns jamming. My brother had the baikal 3 1/2" auto and it was a workhorse for sure. Just uglier than hell. Good luck with whatever gun you decide to go with.