Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

transporting ducks

Old 09-06-2004, 07:45 PM

Default transporting ducks

Hello, I haven't posted for a while but I'll give it a shot. Okay after I shoot a duck, should I put it in a portable cooler in our van that we take hunting ? Oh and is it okay to do the same for upland birds?

P.S. I would be eating the ducks

How do I clean a duck in the field?

thanks mark
Old 09-06-2004, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: transporting ducks

You don`t need the cooler( too much to carry in the field), just remove the intestines. You can pluck and wash out the birds when you get home. Pluck around the area where you are going to cut the bird open as this helps keep the area a lot cleaner when it is time to pluck the ducks. You might just want to breast the ducks also.

This is a Canada goose

Ron
Old 09-09-2004, 10:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

In Saskatchewan it is law you must leave one wing attached to each bird for identification purposes. As such we usually take care of them when home. Ducks for the most part until later and no pins are breasted in our case(as are snows always). To breast I will pluck the feathers away to expose the skin (usually do this right before we pack up to come home in the field - less mess in the yard), then lightly slice the skin along the breast bone, then simply pull the skin towards the wing to expose the breast meast and cut along the breast bone to remove the breast meat on both sides(just like a chicken). Canadas and Specs I always pluck for the roaster. To pluck, I remove all the feathers, chop neck, feet and wings off. Remove guts and wash before packaging. If pins or lots of fuzz feathers I will heat up wax in a old deep fryer then drop the bird into the wax to coat the entire cavity, remove and let sit until cool - then peel off the wax and all the feathers will come with. Upland I simply step on the wings and pull the legs, you'll be left with breast attached to both wings, simply cut of the wings and wash before packaging. I wash all my birds thoroughly before packaging for the freezer.

For waterfowl I have never worried about a cooler, as we usually hunt over coys in fields in the am. Upland if unusually warm(like last fall) we will do the step and pull method then put them in a cooler with some frozen ice in pop bottles. So far this fall I wouldn't even worry about it, plenty cool enough.

Best of luck to you and dad! Enjoy
Old 09-09-2004, 12:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

We always keep them whole and in the shade and then just put 'em in the back of the pickup truck for a ride home to be cleaned.
Old 09-10-2004, 09:18 PM

Unless it is very warm or you won't be home for quite a while, don't be over concerned about it. I am very particular about my meat and take care not to ruin it but a few hours will not hurt anything. Like others mentioned, be careful of your state regs about field dressing. Here the only bird we can field dress is a dove.