Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 What is your favorite part of the hunt?? >

What is your favorite part of the hunt??

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

What is your favorite part of the hunt??

Old 07-31-2004, 11:49 AM

Default What is your favorite part of the hunt??

This was asked on the Deer Hunting forum but I thought it was fitting for this one as well. My favorite part of hunting ducks is standing in the cattails after all of the decoys have been set but it is still too early to shoot. There is a dead quite where any noise will echo and you can hear Mallards quacking in the distance but you can't tell if they are on your slough or the next one. All of a sudden a flock drops in to your deeks right over your head and they sound like a missle flying by. It's still too dark to see them but you can hear them swimming around and even start quacking at each other. Does it get any better then that??? I can't wait for the season to open!!!!
Old 07-31-2004, 05:19 PM

Default RE: What is your favorite part of the hunt??

A lone Canada goose. Four feet off the deck and coming straight into the decoys. Almost perfectly straight on and mesmorized. It seems that every season it happens at least once. I have hunted in a group of four other hunters and not one of us was able to call the shot. We were mesmorized ourselves.
Old 07-31-2004, 05:31 PM

Deffinitly when the birds lock up and sail into the dekes, or that first light, or when my dog makes an awsome retrieve...Heck, I love it all!

YL03
Old 07-31-2004, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

For me it is the whole experence the dog ,talking with a partner and just siting there watching nature unfold for the day . Sitting waiting with ducks in the deks is just the L_O_N_G_E_S_T minuits that I have ever spent.
Old 07-31-2004, 06:14 PM

The look in my dad's eyes when he pats me on the back when I manage to hit one. Nothing better.
Old 07-31-2004, 07:33 PM

my favorite part has to be when u have those mallards back flappin in the decoys. that is awesome. i also love when u can hear those pintail's wings whistling right above you
Old 08-01-2004, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rick, I have to agree with you with the morning hunt in the marsh, anticipating when and were the ducks will lift. The dead quite and trying to listen to every little noise. That first shot that echoes thru the marsh. That’s what hunting is all about..
Old 08-01-2004, 06:28 PM

I love feeling the cold morning air on my face and just when you dont think you can wait any longer you hear those whistling wings over your head and you know its gonna be a good day.
Old 08-02-2004, 05:32 AM
Typical Buck

I always get to my hunting spot at least 2 hours min. before shooting time. I get satisfaction of putting out my dekes very carefully. Then sitting back in te blind with my dog having a cup of coffee and sharing my breakfast sandwich with him ,listening to the birds flying overhead.
Then come shooting time those special mornings when the fog hangs on the lake. I watch my dog as his sharp ears pic up birds I can't see and then watch them materialize like ghost in the mist.
Old 08-03-2004, 07:19 AM

The only parts I don't like are the end of the day and the last day of the season. As I get older I just pray that the good Lord will let me have another season.

Quick Reply: What is your favorite part of the hunt??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.